Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Genesis 4

Genesis Chapter Four

And He said, what have you done? The voice of your brother's blood cries to Me from the ground.
(Gen 4:10)


The Voice of Justice

I thought I could get away with it… I thought it every time I did it. For a good portion of our childhood, I was the consummate “cruel big brother” to Trevor. One of my favorite “mean big brother” moves was what I call the Homerun Derby Hoax. I would say to Trev, “hey let’s go play a little homerun derby, I bat first”. Excited that I would want to play a game with him, we would get the gear and run outside. I would play that first half of the round, somehow stretching it into a good 30 or 40 minute batting practice for me. Then, I would announce that it was to hot, to cold, to wet, to dry, to late etc… and head inside, leaving him to cry alone in the yard. The injustice of it was obvious to all, but I would blame it on him being gullible.

In some ways it was just like Cain saying, “am I my brother’s keeper?” Here I was saying, “It’s not my fault, He can take care of himself; he should have known that’s what I was gonna do!” I was wrong, and believe me; justice was served by the acting authorities, my parents.

Whether we are the Cain in the situation, (the acting oppressor) or the Able (the oppressed), we can be sure of this, Justice will be served! No one is going to “get away” with anything in the end. The question is this: who is going to pay the price? If we are believers, then the price for all of our sin and former injustice is paid for on the Cross. As Hebrews 12:24 says, “We have come to Jesus the Mediator of the new covenant, and to blood of sprinkling that speaks better things than that of Abel.” If we do not accept that payment for our sins, we will pay the price for Eternity…

Learn a lesson from Cain this morning. Your sin will find you out, and your unrighteous deeds will cry out to a Holy God to be dealt with. Have they been dealt with???

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I was reading chapter three and then the comentary, I thought of certin people, mainly 4 or 5 boys, who would say that it was all the woman's fault, but Adam sinned too. The sin wasn't all one sided. Maybe if Adam had not sinned we would still be in the garden. HHHMMM

stat counter

simple hit counter