Sunday, September 24, 2006

Genesis 23

Genesis 23

This is an interesting chapter. Sarah has died. Now comes the moment for Sarah to be buried. Abraham is not willing to have Sarah “share” a tomb nor is he willing to have Sarah buried in a borrowed tomb. Instead, here is Abraham, still a sojourner, in need for his own plot of land.

He comes across these Canaanites. The Canaanites were bargainers. As was the custom, the process would be done in a hinting manner:

“I am a stranger and a visitor with you. Give me a possession of a burying place with you, so that I may bury my dead out of my sight.” = “I want to buy some property.”

“Hear us, my lord. You are a mighty prince among us. Bury your dead in the choice of our burying places. None of us shall withhold from you his burying-place from burying your dead.” = “This is what we have for sale.”

“that he may give me the cave of Machpelah which he has, which is in the end of his field. For as much silver as it is worth he shall give it to me for a possession of a burying-place among you.” = “Well I want that cave.”

“No, my lord, hear me. I give you the field, and the cave that is in it I give to you. In the presence of the sons of my people I give it to you. Bury your dead.” = “I won’t sell the cave without the field.”

“And he spoke to Ephron in the ears of the people of the land, saying, Only if you would hear me. I will give you silver for the field. Take it from me, and I will bury my dead there.” = “Fine, I’ll take the field as well. How much?”

“My lord, listen to me. The land is worth four hundred shekels of silver; what is that between me and you? And bury your dead.” = “The blue book says 400 shekels of silver.” (Note: there was no currency in these days. This was not coinage the man wanted, but 400 shekels of actual silver!)

“And Abraham listened to Ephron. And Abraham weighed to Ephron the silver which he had named in the hearing of the sons of Heth, four hundred shekels of silver, which passes with the merchant.” = Abraham pays every last penny, no bartering. He had an agenda and that was to take care of his wife the right way.

This cave would later be the burial place for Abraham, Isaac, Rebekah, Jacob, Leah, and Joseph.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I find myself playing the hinting game without realizing it!

stat counter

simple hit counter