Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Genesis 11

“And they said, Come, let us build us a city and a tower, and its top in the heavens. And let us make a name for ourselves, lest we be scattered upon the face of the whole earth (Gen. 11:3).

“Come, let Us go down and there confuse their language, so that they cannot understand one another's speech (Gen. 11:7).”

Why can’t we be friends? Why can’t there be world peace? What is it which causes man to fight each other needlessly? In this chapter, we see something extremely interesting. Man has come together to corporately build something and God comes in and breaks it up. Was God scared of what might happen? Was He scared the people of this tower called Babylon would actually make it to heaven? Of course God was not scared, but why then did He break it up?

I was at the beach with two friends and their families, neither of which any of you know. I was 11 years-old. I was standing outside of the local surf shop called “Sunsations.” There was no one looking. They told me to go in and get the job done. I, oh so, wanted to be accepted by these two. I do not know why. They were slightly older and it seemed cool to hang out with them. So I went in and got back out without anyone noticing. I had laid a gruesome stink bomb right on the carpeted floor of the “Sunsations.” I never got caught, however, I felt really bad about it. For an 11 year-old this was sin worthy of anathema. Never was I “closer” to these friends then around that time. It was then that I realized I really did not want not be that close.

The world is always going to agree on sin. The world is always going to agree on doing what they feel is right according to feelings. Why not come together and build a tower? It sure sounds good. You can be remembered forever. Did you ever stop to notice that think that the tower was totally self-centered!?! I find it interesting that, if I had chosen to go the route of some of my childhood friends, we would probably still be friends. It was because I chose to follow Jesus that our friendship got broken up. Luke 12:51, Jesus tells us, “Do you suppose that I have come to give peace on earth? I tell you, no, but rather division…”

Be careful who your friends are. Be ready to head a different direction toward Christ. I am not saying that we shun all who are not saved. Instead, we are light to them. Notice the way we witness to the world, “They will know we are Christians by our love one for another.” We witness through loving one another. Compromise, “Peace,” giving in that all might be happy, these are scary words. God pried Babylon apart to save the human race. Never give in to fit with the crowd, instead love, and give of yourself, to share with them. Have a goodie!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you know that back in " Babylon times" there were only 360 days each year? On the Myan and Inca calender there were only 360 day years too. That means that the earth's orbit had to have changed.

Anonymous said...

Hey Who is leather shoe????
whoever you are, I agree on the "forth son of Noah!" thing

Anonymous said...

I have a guess on Who Leather Shoe is.......I think it is someone we personally know. Leather Shoe is a position on a page I have on another web site.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about the friends I know who talk like believers, but who don't live like believers. I have a friend who has really fallen away from the Lord. If you asked her she would not admit this, but her light for the Lord has grown pretty dim. When I read this devo about the Tower of Babel it reminded me of this friend. She has decided to hang out at the Tower instead of obeying God. I often wonder how I can still be friends, and be a light to her when our paths are going in such different directions now.

David Reinhold said...

Hehe yeah, I just found out that I had to press the refresh button on my browser to get todays devos. Thats why they wern't showing up! It's so fun joking with you guys 'bout who I am! Also, Leather Shoe is only my nickname here; Usually I use a different one.

Anonymous said...

Leather Shoe,
Do I know you?

Anonymous said...

No! I'm right here. Just foung out how to post!

Anonymous said...

Curls,
We(bubbles&shannon)think that Leather Shoe is David too!! We should ask him on Sunday night, he probally won't admit it though!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

It's not david,TRUST ME!!!! I KNOW WHO IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Really? Who?

Anonymous said...

WHO IS LEATHER SHOE. We should just ask Hector on Sunday. Leather shoe said he would know, maybe Leather Shoe is Bobby or Gregory LOL

Anonymous said...

We mean David R. , you know the German David. I could try to spell has last name, but I don't have time.

stat counter

simple hit counter