Monday, September 18, 2006

Genesis 16

Genesis Chapter 16

And Sarai said unto Abram, Behold now, the LORD hath restrained me from bearing: I pray thee, go in unto my maid; it may be that I may obtain children by her. And Abram hearkened to the voice of Sarai.
(Gen 16:2)

And Hagar bore Abram a son: and Abram called his son's name, which Hagar bore, Ishmael.
(Gen 16:15)

“I’m just going to help God out a little”

“God helps those who help themselves”
“I don’t think He would want me to just sit here and DO NOTHING”

We are all familiar with these sentiments, or at least with ones like them. In fact many people might think a couple of them are actually in the BIBLE!!! It was something similar to this that took place in the life of Abram and Sarai in our story. They were looking for God to work, to come through on His promise, and we know that Abram at least, if not Sarai, believed that this promise was TRUE. The problem was that they got a little impatient.

Maybe you can relate… I can recall times when I grew impatient with people and took things into my own hands. I remember one time at Bible College in particular. It was a Friday afternoon, and I was working. My job was to setup the audio and video for the retreats that would come in. It was different than a lot of the other jobs on campus… some weeks it was long, others it only took a couple hours… all that really mattered was that I got it done. On this particular week I had to transport a very large TV from one side of campus to the other. I had a big motorized cart to do it with, but it was too big to carry to the cart by myself. I called for “backup” and waited… and I waited… and I waited more… and some more… IT WAS TAKING FOREVER!!! I kept radioing for help, but no one would come!!! I can’t remember exactly what I wanted to do that afternoon, probably go to the beach with some friends; but whatever it was, this silly TV was about to ruin my plans and wreck my entire weekend schedule! So I did the only thing that made sense… I decided I would have to move the TV by myself. I went into the room where it was stored, circled it a couple times, sizing it up… then I moved in for the kill.
It wasn’t too heavy, it was just big and awkward. I made it out of the room, and into the hallway fine. “What have I been waiting for?” I thought to myself. It was when I had to open the door that I ran into trouble… It didn’t have a crash bar, so I turned the handle with my elbow. As I headed out the door, the TV started to TEETER and TOTTER, it wobbled BACK and FORTH, and BACCCCCKKKKK and FORRRRTTTTTTHHHHHH and then

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

It flipped right out of my arms and with a little explosion “BOOM"
it hit the ground and the picture tube blew!

It was a great idea that quickly turned into the worst idea I ever had! So it was with Abram… He waited… and Waited… and they waited more… They were getting old, and Sarai didn’t think she could physically HAVE a baby anymore… So in their impatience they came up with a plan to help God out… and the results were even worse than the TV debacle! What is the lesson here for us? It’s this: trust the Lord, and wait for Him. Don’t take matters into your own hands, what the Lord has promised He will surely bring to pass… In His own perfect time!

.I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry.
(Psa 40:1)

8 comments:

David Reinhold said...

Yikes! Did you have to pay for the TV? Know what it feels like, doing something stupid out of impatience.

Tommy & Hector said...

No I didn't have to pay for it... the school had mercy on me! But I definately got help the next time!

Anonymous said...

I think you are CRAZY!!!
You could have had to pay for it.
It could have blown you up.
It could ha... nevermind.
I have been so much dumber over the past thirteen years.
Oh well.
Srictly for my ninja.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous,
How could the TV have blown him up? I doubt he would have had to pay for it because he did call for backup and no one came. By the way, I know who the code names belong to, well most of them anyway, about 90% of them.

Anonymous said...

IT COULD HAVE BLOWN UP!!!
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!
And the person could have got MAD REAL MAD!!! Mad enough to make him pay up!! BOOM there goes his college money.
Strictly for my ninja.

Anonymous said...

Really? Who is leather Show? Who is "k is izzel"? Who is kyel. The rest of them I know as well.

Anonymous said...

This is really something to pay attention to. A verse in Psalms says, "Wait on the Lord, be strong and take heart, and wait on the Lord." Interesting that God repeats himself to really make a point. I really love when I find those few truly meaningful comments on the blog site from students. Thanks, Sarah Beth, for your insight a few lessons ago. You have great stuff to say, so thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Kyle O'keefe is K to the izzle and Kyle and speicle K. Leather shoe, is either Gregory or David R. . Most of the people in the jrh think that it is David R. . I want to know who annie~bear is!

stat counter

simple hit counter