Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Genesis 18

Genesis Chapter 18

And the LORD said unto Abraham, Wherefore did Sarah laugh, saying, Shall I of a surety bear a child, which am old? Is any thing too hard for the LORD? At the time appointed I will return unto thee, according to the time of life, and Sarah shall have a son.
(Gen 18:13-14)


There are a lot of things that we would term as impossible. We could list them off, one after another, for hours on end without running out of things that we as humans can’t do.

I still have never met anyone who can fly like Superman. I have never seen anyone that can make themselves invisible. I don’t know of anybody that can walk on water. I’ve never seen anyone that can walk through buildings, or even see through buildings. Pretty much anything we would term as “superhuman” spills over into the realm of the impossible.

It seems the older I get, the list of things that I think are impossible just grows and grows. Have you noticed that? It sure seems to me like children are much more ready to believe in the possibility of the unthinkable than adults are! Sarah and Abraham were pretty old, and things that once would have seemed common place had become unimaginable. Things like having a baby… At 20, it would be no sweat. At 40, there is definitely a decent chance. At 60, it is possible, but not probable. For a woman in her 90’s we would all agree: you had better forget about it! This was how Sarah reacted, she thought, “you have got to be kidding me”! Not only did she think it, she couldn’t even stop the chuckle from bursting out of her mouth. I picture it to be that kind of laughter where if you have something in your mouth, it gets sprayed EVERYWHERE.

But the Lord wasn’t joking! Look at how He responds… “Is anything too hard for the LORD?” It’s a good question, and one we should consider. Is there anything that is too hard for the Lord? Anything at all? Look at who He is… He made the heavens and the earth, and all they contain in six days. He keeps all matter held together using nothing but His hands. He hears our EVERY prayer, answers each one according to what is very best, and not even a sparrow falls from a tree without Him knowing about it! We can be assured, the answer is this: “No Lord, there is nothing that is too difficult for You!”

So what does this mean for us? Well, we know one thing it definitely does NOT mean. Just because God CAN do anything, doesn’t mean He WILL do anything… In other words, don’t put God’s abilities to the test by jumping off your deck and seeing if He can make you fly! (Remember, that is one of the things the devil tried to get Jesus to do, and He said, “you shouldn’t put the Lord your God to the test.”) What it does mean is this. If God promises it, we can take it to the bank. God WILL do everything He promises, so we should never say, “it won’t happen”. Also, we should never give up on people or situations. I have several very dear friends that I love greatly who are not walking with Jesus. I know that God promised that He is willing that NONE should perish, so I cling to that promise… God doesn’t have to save my friends, but He can!!! So I pray all the time for them. Some people have said they will never change, but I say, “Is anything too Difficult for the LORD?”

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's really amazing what the Lord can do. Just this month my aunt, who hasn't received the Lord, was diagnosed with cancer; and only has a few months to live. I was starting to give up any hope that she would ask Jesus into her heart, but this devo has really made me think twice.

Anonymous said...

I think that is awsome.
But does that mean God can make me a normal person not a NINJA???
No power.
No skill.
No cool hats.
NOOOOO!!!!!
Oh well I will just have to be happy with what God gives me.
Strictly for my ninja

Anonymous said...

I want to be a dinosour do you think God will turn me into a dinosour?
I realy have a code name.
Who do you think I am.
I'll give you a hint.
I'm not anonymous.

Anonymous said...

"Then Sarah denied it, saying, I did not laugh; for she was afraid. And He said, No, but you did laugh."
-Gen. 18:15

Sarah laughed because the thought of her having a child at her age was "impossible." She was pridefull and decided to defend herself, and so she lied. We're so willing to lie to save ourselves from trouble. We need to learn from Sarah's mistake, and let go of our pride and admitt our faults.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy hearing the truly meaningful comments on the comments page. Thanks, Shannon, for your insight.
This is a great chapter to read and reread when you're struggling with faith and doubting God.

Anonymous said...

Well said Me.

Anonymous said...

Greg, you are so "k is izzel"!

Anonymous said...

I AM NOT GREG!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Kyle,
There is no need to "yell", we all know who you are, well, at least most of us do.

Anonymous said...

I wasn't yelling! I was emphasizing!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

notice that I put yelling in qotes. (sarcasticly) i know you would never yell.

stat counter

simple hit counter