Friday, September 15, 2006

Genesis 13

“Rise up and walk through the land, in the length of it and in the breadth of it, for I will give it to you (13:17).

I feel I have been bombarded with lessons on faith. In our chapter we see Lot’s herdsman fighting with Abraham’s herdsman. Abraham then makes a proposition for peace. Although Abraham is the older one, he submits his will to that of his nephew. He gives Lot the first choice. I love this picture because after all is said and done, we see that it was actually the Lord giving to Abraham rather than Abraham giving to Lot.

There is a Michael Card song I would like you to read. It is called distressing disguise:

He is in the pain, He is in the need
He is in the poor, we are told to feed
Though He was rich, for us He became poor
How could He give so much, what was it for?

In His distressing disguise
He waits for us to surmise
That we rob our brothers by all that we own
And that's not the way He has shown

Every time a faithful servant serves
A brother that's in need
What happens at that moment is a miracle indeed
As they look to one another in an instant it is clear
Only Jesus is visible for they've both disappeared

He is in the hand that reaches out to give
He is in the touch that causes men to live
So speak with your life now as well as your tongue
Shelter the homeless, take care of the young

In His distressing disguise
He hopes that we'll realize
That when we take care of the poorest of them
We've really done it to Him

Abraham, by submitting and being the servant, had fallen perfectly into God’s will. It was Lot that made the choice, yet in the end, it was the Lord saying, “…for I give it to you.” Want to fall into the perfect will of God? Just serve your brother. Although it may feel like that person is getting the better end of the deal, I guarantee you are.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Tommy,
I like the Michael Card song. I think you should sing it on Sunday.

Anonymous said...

Tommy, you should really sing the Michael Card on sunday.

Anonymous said...

He can just learn a song in TWO DAYS!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Today's devo made me think of our VBS. This year seemed different to me. I saw how difficult certain jobs were. Being outside in the heat was hard. Being inside in crafts was hard too - so many details and so much to do. Being inside a class probably had challenges also - especially Mrs. Tevethick (24 students!!!) It would have been easier to stay home and go to the pool or sleep in or do anything but serve. But because we chose to serve in VBS, God blessed our youth group so much. One awesome way He blessed us was how we learned to love one another and encourage one another, putting others first. I thought it was fun passing "eyes" around and looking for the good focus someone else had. I pray that the kids who came to VBS saw that we loved each other and that they'll remember and imitate that. Like Abram, I think we were operating in the perfect will of God and that's why it was such a blessed time.

Anonymous said...

I think you should sing that Michael Card song next sunday too.
If I stare at that picture to long I'll get nightmares.
I still cant figure out how to get code names.
Strictly for my ninja.

David Reinhold said...

Eather check the "other" thingy and give in youre nickname, or get yourself a blogger identity by clicking the "sign up now of something nd exit at thesecond step.

Kristen Ferrante said...

I've also found that when you become the servant,the Lord gives you so much joy!When one becomes a Christian he begins putting on the mind of Christ."Let the mind that was in Christ Jesus be in you." Therefore the things that bring the Lord joy will bring you joy too.

Anonymous said...

These things usually won't give you fun or earthly pleasure, but they do bring joy. And they do bring God's will about in youre life.

Anonymous said...

that's a really cool song. i'm going to try to find it to see what it sounds like.

Anonymous said...

Sarah-Beth,
YOU MISSPELLED MY LAST NAME. IT IS TREVITHICK!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I mean, he CAN'T learn a song in two days!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Kyle, Tommy is part of tOMTor, and as every one know tOMTor can do anything. Besides, I alked to him, and he said that h might ing it on a Sunday, so there!

stat counter

simple hit counter