Monday, April 14, 2008

Psalm 39

"LORD, make me to know my end, And what is the measure of my days, That I may know how frail I am. Indeed, You have made my days as handbreadths, And my age is as nothing before You; Certainly every man at his best state is but vapor. Selah

(Psa 39:4-5)

Most of us who read this blog are young. We like to look ahead and think that we have all the time in the world to do the things God has called us to do. The truth is, life is short. It is here today and gone tomorrow. David prays here that the Lord would help him to understand how FRAIL he is. The word frail here means TRANSIENT or FLEETING. David prays that the Lord would help him recognize that his life here is not permanent. David wanted to grasp the concept that his days were quickly running by, time was short, and he needed to make the most of his life. Life, at it’s very best is a vapor. It comes and goes in an instant when take in the scope of eternity.

Your life is short. It is fleeting. You are moving closer to the end of your life with every breath that you take, and you are not guaranteed another day, let alone another year. What will you do with your momentary life? Will you squander it away entertaining yourself? Or, will you use it to make a mark for the eternal? Follow the example of David today, and ask the Lord to help you be mindful of how short this life is… Then live like you actually believe what He has shown you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What does David mean when, in verse ten, he says "I am consumed by the blow of Your hand"?

me, myself,& I said...

I know sharpest tool already asked this question, but what does David mean when he says, "I am overcome by the blow of your hand"?

me, myself,& I said...

This is something that the Lord just showed me recently. I've come to realize that life is just a passing breath. We have no control over it at all. This is so true when it comes to cancer -- we have absolutely no control over whether or not we get it. I mean sure some people bring it on themselves by smoking, but there are so many others who haven't done anything to deserve it. They never know what may happen. They live through each day wondering whether they will make it to the next morning! One thing is though, most of these people have such a vivid idea of what it is to "live for today." They don’t just waste what time they do have, but instead live out their lives doing all that they can & enjoying life to its fullest! If we could all live this way, we would get so much more accomplished because we try harder instead of just saying I can do this tomorrow! Like Benjamin Franklin said, “ Never leave that till tomorrow which you can do today.”

stat counter

simple hit counter