Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Numbers 6

"Speak to the sons of Israel, and say to them, When a man or a woman shall vow a vow, a vow of a Nazarite, to be separated to Jehovah," (Num. 6:2).

Have you ever had a fast before? It is certainly a wonderful thing. At Bible College they would have days of prayer and fasting. The point of a fast is this; to take something that regularly consumes your mind, time, energy, and to be rid of it for the sake of focusing on the Lord. It is a time of self denial. Often times I would not take a fast from food. Although this is good, because food typically consumes most people's minds, I found simply unhealthy for myself. I would fast from other things like once I fasted from video games for a month. Another time I fasted from secular music for a month. I would encourage all of you to find something that consumes your mind and thought, and fast from it for the sake of drawing closer to the Lord.

The Nazarite vow was very much like a fast. The purpose was to separate yourself for a season. We remember that holiness means to be separated for the Lord. I am so encouraged by all of you whenever I see you actively following the Lord. I am so encouraged by those reading this, not because you are reading what we are writing, but because I know then that you are reading your Bibles. Nevertheless, I challenge you, if you were to take a Nazarite vow today, what would be on your list? Would the Lord be calling you to separate yourself for a season from certain types of music, friends, or places?
I have been so torn in my heart lately to live a life fully dedicated to the Lord. I encourage all of you to take a Nazarite vow before the Lord today and find something in your life you can live without for the sake of drawing closer to Jesus.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could you guys maby start posting at some regular time? I do my devos in the morning... could you please always do them in the evening, or always in the morning?

just getting kinda annoying

Anonymous said...

Wow! I just read the devo. I could try to get off vid. games for a week maby? I would never survive a whole month. I once tried just this, taking a fast off games for a week, but by the second day, the temtation became too great.

stat counter

simple hit counter