Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Numbers 20

Take the rod, and gather the assembly, you and Aaron your brother, and speak to the rock before their eyes. And it shall give forth its water, and you shall bring forth to them water out of the rock. So you shall give the congregation and their animals drink.
(Num 20:8)

And Moses and Aaron gathered the congregation together before the rock, and he said to them, Hear now you rebels. Must we bring water for you out of this rock? And Moses lifted up his hand, and with his rod he struck the rock twice. And the water came out plentifully, and the congregation and their animals drank.
(Num 20:10-11)

I remember this time at an amusement park when I was in line for a roller coaster, and I was so stoked about riding it. I had already ridden it several times, and I let my excitement take over my sense of self-control… Instaed of walking through the line, I started leaping over the handrails, yelling as I went, happiness flowing out of me. The problem came when I leapt over the last railing and landed right in front of the line. He made me exit the ride, and WALK back up, just like everybody else. You see it wasn’t just getting there that mattered, if I was gonna ride that rollercoaster I had to get there the right way! I couldn’t leap over lines or enter through the exit, I had to come in the RIGHT WAY.

It is the same with the Lord, He cares about the WAY we get to our destination, not just that we get there. In all we do we are representatives of Him, showing Him to the world around us. Moses was His representative, and He misrepresented God in this situation. His actions caused the children of Israel to misunderstand God, and they cost He and Aaron a trip to the promised land. God gave Aaron and Moses specific instructions, “speak to the rock”. It was a picture of the fact that Jesus sacrifice was once for all, He need not be struck again everytime we need His supply, he was crucified once for all, all we need to do now is ask! Mose struck the rock, he confused the children of Israel about their relationship with God and messed up the picture for all of us. The end result was the same, but the method was changed. They got their water, but they got it the wrong way. We need to realize that God cares about the details… He doesn’t just care that we “make it” to heaven, He wants us to have a fruitful journey!

3 comments:

Jimmy Robeson said...

hey guys... this is Jimmy Robeson from san diego. Thanks for challenging me to get on this thing and "inspire" kids to seek after God. love you guys. i hope all is well. talk to you sometime soon
-j

Anonymous said...

This dosn't mean that we have to have a fruitful journey. But if we love the lord it is the automatic result! If we live our life for Jesus, and love him the end result is heaven, the bonus. The real prize though is Jesus's love.

Anonymous said...

Today is the 17 of January of 2007. It is the only 17 of January in 2007 that you guys will ever get! And you'd better be good on this lonesome day! Otherwise a giant lightbulb will dig itself under your hose and explode sending you're house 1,000,000 miles into the atomsphere!

BEWARE!!!

stat counter

simple hit counter