Monday, January 15, 2007

Numbers 18

And Jehovah said to Aaron, You and your sons, and your father's house with you shall bear the iniquity of the sanctuary. And you and your sons with you shall bear the iniquity of your priesthood.
(Num 18:1)

With the privilege that it was to be a priest, (appointed by God as a spiritual leader for the people) came GREAT RESPONSIBILITY. These men (Aaron and his sons) would carry the blame for anything that took place in God’s house that was done out of order. God had communicated very specific ways that everything was to be done. He wanted to see things done HIS WAY, because it was all painting a picture for the people of the world of WHO GOD WAS. The responsibility in all of this was to fall on the shoulders of these men. God had appointed them, and He would hold them accountable for their choices, and the choices of those they were responsible for.

This brings up the question that Cain asked long ago… AM I MY BROTHER’S KEEPER? The unbeliever would say “NO, I’m not looking out for anyone but myself, because no one else is looking out for me!” As believers our response should be different. God wants us to be concerned with those around us, to take some responsibility, and be actively involved in their lives.

Here is an example for you: Let’s say that Hector and I are made aware of some serious sin in the life of one of you guys, but instead of doing anything about it we just ignore it. We decide we are to busy to help you, and say that it’s your own fault anyway so why should we care.

Two things are wrong with this picture. First off, we will give an account to God for everything we did and didn’t do… He’s gonna want to know why we didn’t show some concern for His kids, rather than being consumed with ourselves. Second, it shows a major lack of love on our part. Without LOVE, the bible tells us that we can do nothing of any value. What good is it if we teach you the bible but don’t love you enough to care about your eternal destiny, and the way your sin affects your life?!

These priests were put into a place where they NEEDED to love those around them… without that they were going to have a major problem when they stood before God. As a kingdom of priests, we need to realize that God has called us to not only take responsibility for our own sin, but also to be concerned about our brothers and sisters. If you have a friend who is caught up in sin, lovingly come alongside that person; remind them that Jesus has set them free. Bear the burden of that sin before the Lord, take some responsibility and stand in the gap for your friends… wouldn’t you want the same from them?

7 comments:

David Reinhold said...

Wow great devo! How could we help another person in trouble? When I found out that one of my friends was strugeling, you know, I gave him a call, what else can we do?

Anonymous said...

What's up? Why doesn't any one post, wether it be thier own thoughts on the chapter or on Tommy and Hector's thoughts? I thought that most of the things people wrote about where interesting, at least the ones that stayed to the point of the Bible reading. It seems like the only one posting(and maybe even reading the DEVOS) is David, and Leather Shoe, I think they are the same person. If more people decide to post again, can we please not do the "Code Names" anymore? I bet most people knew who everyone else was. This is a web-ppage so people can read the DEVOS, sure I wil make jokes and stuff, but in the past people got off of the subject, please try to keep your posts to the point. I havn't read any of the DEVOS, since, about, half-way through Leviticus, and I won't make excuses for why I havn't been reading,and I could come up with alot of them, but I am going to try to read them most every day. I hope people start to post again.

Anonymous said...

I did post! Tommy and Hector del. it!

Anonymous said...

And, by the wauy, Leather shoe hasn't been here all this time! he just came back! Same time as Catherin came back! coinkidink? I don't think so!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, like I would use the name Leather Shoe!!! It would have to be a pointy-toed leather shoe with a kitten heel.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Cool! A comment deleted post! Why didn't you guys do this for all my other posts!

stat counter

simple hit counter