Saturday, December 09, 2006

Leviticus 8

We studied the priestly duties and priestly apparel in Exodus. We have studies the offerings here in Leviticus. In the next three chapters (8-10) we will see all of the laws come into action. It begins here with Aaron's anointing. Note that Aaron and his sons are being anointed in these chapters.

First important thing to note is the cleansing. God is going to cleanse us. God, being a consuming fire, is going to take off the blemishes that do not wash out with water. Despite this, it is our duty to cleanse ourselves where we can. I find it odd when people are openly living in sin and feel fine coming to church, reading their Bible, and partaking in communion. It seems like they have made to conscious effort to try to get their lives on the right path. I am not encouraging you to judge your brothers and sisters at church, but challenging you to acknowledge the way you go before the Lord anytime and anywhere. He is holy, and to go before Him unclean is to misrepresent His holiness.

Now as a side a note, I want to tell you there is a difference from going before the Lord broken and unclean. I find that I could be a rather wretched state. I have failed all week and feel caught up in a funk. I finally get to the point where I am tired and myself and throw myself before the Lord. This is being broken.

Other times, I have been doing what I have to do. Every part of my life seem consumed by some sort of service. However, when I come before the Lord there is an arrogance there which does not ask, "Lord, remove these infirmities," but rather states, "I have done everything, what else? When is it enough?" This is unclean. Though I be twice the person I was in the week of brokenness, I have lost the passion of following a holy, loving God, and fallen into the routine of doing what is seemingly right and what gets me the A+. I become a Pharisee, just Calvary Chapelized.

There is a lot in this chapter and I suggest you read it through. Also read 1 Corinthians 11:27-28. These two verses are the New Testament summary of this chapter. Here we are, at the doorstep of the Lord's presence, and being consecrated (finished or made complete) for priestly ministry, Examine yourself now, not compared to the next buy, but to the Holiness of the Lord. Be cleansed, and serve Him willingly and with passion.

No comments:

stat counter

simple hit counter