Thursday, December 28, 2006

Leviticus 26

And yet for all that, when they be in the land of their enemies, I will not cast them away, neither will I abhor them, to destroy them utterly, and to break my covenant with them: for I am the LORD their God. But I will for their sakes remember the covenant of their ancestors, whom I brought forth out of the land of Egypt in the sight of the heathen, that I might be their God: I am the LORD.

(Lev 26:44-45)

In this chapter, we have a summarization of the law, the OLD COVENANT. Here God lays out before all of the people the great blessings they would experience when they OBEYED, and the great cursing that would fall on them if they DISOBEYED. As the punishment for disobedience is unfolded, we see that it is incremental. It’s designed to cause the Jews to repent. Because of this, further disobedience led to greater punishment, culminating in their dispersion throughout foreign lands, captives of nations that did not know God.

This chapter gives us a great picture of the law; it is large, menacing, foreboding… it intimidates you just to read it because the weight of responsibility falls on the shoulders of man. It is entirely good, pure, holy, and perfect… but it could do nothing to save men from their sins. This covenant based upon mans obedience WOULD FAIL, because sinful man will always fail.

Yet, even in the midst of the presentation of the law’s blessings and cursing, with its prophetic declaration of what would happen to the nation of Israel, we have a glimmer of hope, a reminder of the covenant of grace. God says, “I will not break my covenant with them… I will remember my covenant with them… that I might be their God.” You see, it was never God’s intent to SAVE anyone by the law… the law, we are told in the book of Galatians was a SCHOOLMASTER to lead people to Christ. This whole covenant of the law is a picture for us of what happens to us when we try and live right before God. IT ISN’T POSSIBLE. I am so grateful that we have the covenant of Grace, God paying the price, the responsibility lying fully on His shoulders! He is the LORD, not merely HOLY, RIGHTEOUS, and JUST… He is also LOVING, GRACIOUS, and COMPASSIONATE. Worship Him with all of your heart!

No comments:

stat counter

simple hit counter