Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Leviticus 5

The Trespass offering is rather intense. Have you ever avoided lying by simply not telling the entire story? Have you ever made a promise you could not keep? Have you ever touched something dead? This is what the Lord considers trespassing. Understand that trespassing is not a lesser type of sin, but simply, a different type of sin. What makes trespassing so unique is the fact that you may not realize what you have done.

"and he knows, then he shall be guilty of one of these." "and he knows, then he shall be guilty."

I have to think to myself, what are the Spiritual trespasses in my own life. I certainly am convicted by the first situation given. Withholding the truth is just as bad as not telling the truth at all. This trespass does not suggest the person may not know what they are doing, but instead simply pronounces the person as guilty. This makes me all the more appreciate Jesus. He never told a half truth. He always told the complete story. If this is what it takes to be holy, Jesus did this completely. I also love the example Jesus gave us. When He was being questioned by Pilot, He simply remained quiet. If there is something you need to withhold for reasonable purpose other than being sneaky, I suggest you just stay quiet about the matter.

Secondly, we see that Israel was not to come before anything dead. What a challenge for me! I do not do things which are going to hinder or crush my spiritual walk. Nevertheless, I find myself walking around dead things. Whether it is seeing a movie I should not see, doing things which are fruitless, or just not making use of the Lord's time, I know I am guilty of hanging around to much spiritually dead things. I feel this is a great danger living in the United States and the metropolis of Northern Virginia. We need to stop trying to fill our time with entertainment and instead fill it with Jesus.

Finally, we are told to watch what we say that we might keep it. Once again, Jesus fulfilled all He told. How smart would it be for us to do these three things! What great witnesses we would be. Refrain from half-lies, spiritually dead carcasses, and too many oaths. They are only trespasses on the Lord's perfect holiness.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the next to last paragraph you write, "We need to stop trying to fill our time with entertainment and instead fill it with Jesus."

I agree with this statement for sure.

But for young people, can you give some examples of how they might fill their time with Jesus? What might this look like?

Great Devo! Mrs. K

Anonymous said...

In the next to last paragraph you write, "We need to stop trying to fill our time with entertainment and instead fill it with Jesus."

I agree with this statement for sure.

But for young people, can you give some examples of how they might fill their time with Jesus? What might this look like?

Great Devo! Mrs. K

Anonymous said...

is there Sr. High tonight??

stat counter

simple hit counter