Friday, November 14, 2008

Psalm 119:57-64

HETH – The 8th Letter of the Hebrew Alphabet

I pondered the direction of my life, and I turned to follow Your laws. I will hurry, without delay, to obey Your commands. Evil people try to drag me into sin, but I am firmly anchored to Your instructions.
(Psalms 119:59-61)


I really dig these 3 verses and the connection they make between God’s WORD and our BEHAVIOR. The way I look at these verses, we see 3 specific things that God’s Word does to modify, change, or improve our behavior.

Changes our direction – The first thing I notice is that when we are submitted to God’s Word, it can and will alter the direction our life is taking. Here the Psalmist is looking at his own life and pondering the direction he is heading, and when he introduces the WORD we see that it causes him to TURN. Sometimes this turn is slight, a degree here or a degree there… other times it is a full 180 degrees. Regardless of how significant the change may be, we see that if God’s Word is really allowed to work in our lives, it should be producing COURSE CORRECTIONS on a REGULAR BASIS.

Moves us forward – Secondly we note that if the Word is being heard and heeded properly it will produce INSTANTANEOUS OBEDIENCE. Often we know the right thing to do, and we may even plan on doing it, but we delay. We think, “I realize this probably isn’t the best thing I could be doing, but I’ll deal with it later”. That attitude is an indicator that we are not allowing the Word to do the work God wants it to. When our heart attitude is right we will HURRY TO OBEY the commands of the Lord.

Keeps us steadfast
– Even while we are moving forward, changing direction, hurrying to serve and obey, we need to be FIRMLY ANCHORED. This world constantly throws us curveballs, but if we will keep relating to the Word of God the way we should, we will never be pulled off of our firm foundation. Do you realize that there are people who actually want to drag you into sin? Most people that don’t know the Lord are not going to make holiness easy… they will attempt to make it difficult. In light of this, we need to be ANCHORED in the Word of God. We need to KNOW it so that it can serve to keep us firmly anchored in truth.

My friends… read God’s Word! Be doers, allow it to actually change your life! Listen to what it speaks, and believe it as you seek to follow Jesus, the “Living Word”.

No comments:

stat counter

simple hit counter