Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Psalm 119:33-40

HE – The fifth Letter of the Hebrew Alphabet

These eight verses work together to help us remember that in our relationship with the LORD, HE is the initiator and WE are the responders. As we read the Psalm we see a back and forth between the LORD’S work and the PSALMISTS response. One cannot take place without the other… if the Lord didn’t initiate, we would not be able to respond… on the flipside, if we didn’t respond, the Lord would not move on. Sometimes you may feel like your relationship with the Lord has stalled, or maybe reached a plateau. I would venture to say that what you are observing is an indication of a failure to respond on your part. God speaks… we must respond.

Notice the first two verses:

GOD TEACHES HIS STATUTES – THE PSALMIST KEEPS THEM TO THE END

GOD GIVES UNDERSTANDING – THE PSALMIST KEEPS THE WORD WITH HIS WHOLE HEART


There is this call and response… God teaches, psalmist responds; God enlightens, the heart of the hearer is enlarged. This description of God’s work and what it causes goes on, and the emphasis is on this ongoing work that GOD is doing, and the fact that He is doing it in connection to HIS WORD. Verse 40 (the final verse in this section) marks a real shift in the content of the Psalm… Here the psalmist cries out that he “LONGS FOR GOD’S PRECEPTS”. – This causes me to ask myself a question… am I longing for God’s Word? Do I hunger for it? Am I finding myself drawn to it? If not, then maybe I need to look back and see if I have failed to respond to God’s ongoing work in my life. Maybe I have allowed myself to Plateau by not pressing in… and now I’m losing my appetite.

God is the great initiator, but that does not excuse us from PURSUING HIM. Here the Psalmist tells us that in light of all God does, HE IS LONGING FOR GOD TO SPEAK. Beyond that, He wants God to QUICKEN him in HIS righteousness. Are you hungry for God’s righteousness? Are you thirsty for His voice? Do you long to see Him work in your life? If you answered yes to these questions, then look for HIM to speak, and be prepared to respond!

No comments:

stat counter

simple hit counter