Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Psalm 111

Psa 111:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; A good understanding have all those who do His commandments. His praise endures forever.

Solomon has a very wise Father. We often credit Solomon for penning down these words, but as we can see here, he must have learned this from his father. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.

What does it mean to fear the Lord? The word literally means to revere, even to the point of dread. This is how I feel about the ocean. I love going swimming. I love boogie boarding. However, I have a healthy respect for the ocean. I have had enought waves crash on me that I realize which one of us is bigger.

This does not mean that God wants us to be scared of Him. It is important for us to understand that He is all powerful, and we are not. Our attitude should be anything but flippant when approaching God. To fear Him, will be the first step to obtaining true wisdom.

No comments:

stat counter

simple hit counter