Sunday, April 01, 2007

Joshua 22

Joshua 22

“Only, diligently take heed to do the commands and the Law which Moses the servant of Jehovah commanded you, to love Jehovah your God, and to walk in all His ways, and to keep His commandments, and to cleave to Him, and to serve Him with all your heart and with all your soul” (Joshua 22:5).

In this chapter we read of the tribes of Israel on the East side of the Jordan. They had made it to the east side of the Jordan with Moses. When they had seen this side, they were well content and asked if their inheritance could be this land. Moses agreed, however, they were still required to come to war with their brothers in conquering the land of Canaan.

Now they were finally receiving their land. The Lord had indeed called them to this place. We remember that eventually Israel was supposed to conquer all the way to the Euphrates River. Reuben, Manasseh, and Gad were to lead this as they were already on that side. They also bore the incredible responsibility of protecting Israel from the East Side invaders, which would include, Assyria and Babylon! They bore much responsibility. The Lord gives them simple instruction, which might seem obvious, but are crucial. He tells them to “diligently take heed…”

Have you ever been appointed an important task? Have you ever felt like you were bearing much responsibility to do something right? There is something key we must remember. We need to be diligently taking heed to what the Lord is telling us. Many of you are going to be involved in special ministries this summer. Some of you will be helping in VBS while others will be going to Ireland while others will be doing something else! Some of you are already helping lead children’s worship or helping teach a class. Whatever the case, you are blessed with an important task. The first thing for you to do is diligently take heed to what the Lord is telling you.

I am reminded of John 14 which tells us, “Without Me (Jesus) you can do nothing.” This is us trying to do great things without the Lord. Whenever I am given ministry of some sort the first thing I want to do is plan it all out. I want to do this and do that. Then it leads to me having expectations on my brothers and sisters around me. Where expectations arise, disappointment follows, because nobody but Jesus can live up to your expectations. He even exceeds them! Instead, I need to lean on Jesus and allow Him to do a work in me. Philippians 4 tells us, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”

In the end, I am reminded of Esther. Here is Esther with a great task to save the Jews. Mordecai comes to instruct her. He tells her, “For if you are completely silent at this time, relief and deliverance shall arise to the Jews from another place, but you and your father's house shall be destroyed. And who knows whether you have come to the kingdom for a time like this?” This is me. I am not at all necessary or vital by any means to His great work. Instead, He works in me and has decided to use me. If we are not diligently taking heed, we can forget about it. When we are following the Lord’s voice, we become a tool he can use.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was flipping through Psalms last night, and I was wondering how you guys are going to do Psalms 134? It only has like 4 verses.

Tommy & Hector said...

the short ones are good... you get more time to think about what is being said!

stat counter

simple hit counter