Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Judges 7

And the LORD said to Gideon, "The people who are with you are too many for Me to give the Midianites into their hands, lest Israel claim glory for itself against Me, saying, 'My own hand has saved me.'

(Jdg 7:2)

Then the LORD said to Gideon, "By the three hundred men who lapped I will save you, and deliver the Midianites into your hand. Let all the other people go, every man to his place."

(Jdg 7:7)

When the three hundred blew the trumpets, the LORD set every man's sword against his companion throughout the whole camp; and the army fled to Beth Acacia, toward Zererah, as far as the border of Abel Meholah, by Tabbath.

(Jdg 7:22)

In our chapter today, we see the LORD reduce the size of Gideon’s army, so that the LORD can get the maximum amount of glory. Gideon, the man who was to afraid to thresh wheat in public, is now going to lead an army of 300 against the Midianite forces. What changed this man? What was it that transformed him into the “Mighty Man of Valor” that the Angel of the LORD had foreseen him as? I believe that what happened to Gideon was simple. For the first time, Gideon realized how great his God really was. It wasn’t the greatness of Gideon, but the greatness of the God he trusted that enabled him to do this amazing deed.

Sometimes I freak out about the tasks that I have in front of me. I think to myself, “how in the world am I going to do all this?!” I worry about seemingly little things because I can’t figure out how I am going to get them done with MY limited resources. THAT IS MY PROBLEM… I am looking at the problems I face and trying to solve them myself, rather than allowing the Lord to fight my battles for me. Gideon vs. the Midianites… an impossible battle; The Lord vs. the Midianites… a glorious victory.

The problem that we all deal with in this life, is failing to see our God for who He really is, and believing that He really can do what the Bible tells us He wants to do. The difference between the Israelites living on under oppression, or being set free from the enemy and idolatry was simple. All it took was one man willing to step out in faith, to believe the promises of God. No one with special powers, talents, abilities, or strategies… just a man who REALLY BELIEVES that God can do great things for His people.

God is looking for young men and women who really believe… who really believe that He means what He says, and that He can still do miraculous things today. You might not have any special powers, talents or abilities… but that means you are a prime candidate to be used by God! Just like Gideon, all He needs is for you to love Him, and listen to His voice. The rest is up to Him!

For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called. But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are, that no flesh should glory in His presence. But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God—and righteousness and sanctification and redemption—that, as it is written, "HE WHO GLORIES, LET HIM GLORY IN THE LORD."

(1Co 1:26-31)

No comments:

stat counter

simple hit counter