Friday, March 30, 2007

Joshua 21

And they spoke to them at Shiloh in the land of Canaan, saying, "The LORD commanded through Moses to give us cities to dwell in, with their common-lands for our livestock." So the children of Israel gave to the Levites from their inheritance, at the commandment of the LORD, these cities and their common-lands:

(Jos 21:2-3)

The Levites had no inheritance of their own. In the Promised Land, they were sort of “loaned” cities and parcels of land within the land belonging to the other tribes. We read over and over in the books of the law that the Levites had no inheritance of their own, for the LORD WAS THEIR INHERITANCE.

I love this concept, and I think it really applies to us as Christians. The Bible tells us in the book of 1st Peter that we are a KINGDOM OF PRIESTS. The entire church has become like the tribe of Levi… we all have access to the presence of the LORD. When I read today’s passage, it reminds me that all that I possess doesn’t really belong to me; it is on loan from the LORD. My house, my car, even my wife and daughter ultimately don’t belong to me… they belong to Jesus.

I just returned a guitar that I had been borrowing from a friend for a while. It is an old guitar from the 70’s, a really cool guitar. When I had that guitar I was careful with it because it didn’t belong to me. I wanted to be sure to return it to it’s own in the same condition I got it in… no new dings, scrapes, or scratches.

We need to see everything we have as the Lord’s, and take care of it that way. Ask yourself questions like, would the Lord want me to spend HIS money this way? To treat HIS family this way? When we remember that all we have belongs to someone else, it helps us not to be too attached to things here on earth. Possess the things the Lord has given you, use them for His glory, and never let THEM possess YOU.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN! Wow that was totally the most perfect timing for that devo. The Lord is so awesome!

Anonymous said...

I know Tommy is married, is Hector?
By the way, I agree with "the girl", great DEVO!!!

Tommy & Hector said...

Nope, Hector is not married.

Anonymous said...

I think Hector is married. I think both he and Mr. Noel recently got married. In fact, they had a double weeding! It was a great reception, too! (Great catering from the Labenese Taverna.) That Mr. Noel can really Polka! "Eskey Verdey!"

stat counter

simple hit counter