Monday, April 30, 2007

1 Sam 2

And the child Samuel went on growing both in stature and in goodness, both in favor of God and also with men. 1 Samuel 2:26

And Samuel served before Jehovah, a child girded with a linen ephod. 1 Samuel 2:18

And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man. Luke 2:52


As we read, Samuel’s life was a life consecrated to the Lord. He was to belong to the Lord from day one. Samuel would be Israel’s greatest prophet. In his life time he would appoint the first king of Israel and the greatest king of Israel. His life seems to have remained pure the entire time. He would set up multiple schools of ministry and prophesy. The key is, he started when he was young. Compare 1 Samuel 2:26 to Luke 2:52 in your Bibles. The similarities are remarkable! How great would it be if someone read about your life and it looked like the life of Jesus!

1 Samuel 2:18 gives us this sweet picture of the boy Samuel, going around the temple in a linen ephod (The garb of a priest). I picture this little guy going around, looking like all the other priests, seemingly busy but carefree just like a child. One might say he was in a bit over his head, wearing all that fancy stuff. I remember when I was a kid I would enjoy setting up a little office. I had all the requirements: a derby cap, a phone book (because it looked official), a desk, and my favorite, a magnifying glass. Of course everybody knows that those combinations of items cannot get any real business done, but none the less, it looked like what business men did in my 6 year-old mind. Now picture Samuel, this little guy going about the Lord’s business. Must of looked funny, but I guarantee he was making an impact.

It challenges me. What did Samuel have in that little mind that made his ministry so sweet? What does Jesus tell us we need to be like to enter the kingdom of heaven? Samuel had a child like mind. He was focused on helping, whether he really could or not, and that was laired with ignorance and innocence. As you grow and become adults the world pushes you to pursue fancy titles. I believe there is something to be learned from Samuel. I am not saying studying, college, and jobs are bad, but keep in mind that in the Lord’s perspective, we are still children. We can accomplish these great things for a business and we can get these big jobs done as we become adults, but does God really need our help? Are we not like Samuel still? Remember, whatever ministry you find yourself doing, God is doing the work. I am humbled every time I teach, share a devo, and speak into your lives. Gang, I really have nothing to offer except Jesus. I have nothing to offer Jesus except for the fact that HE died for me and therefore I can come to Him. Stay humble, stay a child, and you too will grow in favor with God and man.

No comments:

stat counter

simple hit counter