Monday, April 16, 2007

Judges 13

Judges 13
Introduction to Samson

We remember that the word judge could also be translated deliverer. In Judges 13 we are introduced to one of Israel’s most unique deliverers, Samson. Israel had fallen into sin and consequently fallen into the hands of the Philistines for 40 years. God provides a man to deliver them from their hands.

From day one Samson had a special calling in his life. Here he was, in the womb of his mother, and the Lord is already commanding them to stay away from wine. He was to be a Nazirite and hold to th Nazirite vow. The word Nazirite means “to separate.” The idea is that the Nazirite vow was something anyone could do to say, “I am separated for the Lord’s work and the Lord’s will. To learn all the laws of the Nazirite vow read Numbers 6, as we will be talking a lot about it in the upcoming days.

Of course, we can see a parallel for us in our lives. No doubt we have liberty to do whatever we want, however, are you doing things that would separate your relationship with Christ or are you doing thing which separates you TO Christ.. Taking this vow was a form of saying, “God is enough for me.” I find that when I have both my eyes on Jesus, He is enough for me. I do not need anything else in the world, because the world grows dim when my eyes are on Him. However, when my eyes fall off of Jesus, I get insecure. Then I find myself needing everything the world has to offer, because I need to fill a void.

Separate yourselves to Christ. Be completely His. All of the fears of this world, all of the insecurities, all of the confusion is dies when both eyes are on Christ. You too have a Nazirite vow. You too are called to be “set apart.” “Turn your eyes upon Jesus. Look full in His wonderful face. And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,..” Live for Jesus, Live like Jesus, and Live with Jesus.

1 comment:

David Reinhold said...

I've been meaning to make this announcel earlier, but haven't had the time...

my blog:

www.daredyoshi.blogspot.com

stat counter

simple hit counter