Saturday, May 26, 2007

1st Samuel 28

Immediately Saul fell full length on the ground, and was dreadfully afraid because of the words of Samuel. And there was no strength in him, for he had eaten no food all day or all night.

(1Sa 28:20)

Saul’s response here is intriguing… Samuel (in his eternal spiritual form) doesn’t say anything new to Saul, yet Saul reacts as if this news is devastating and unexpected. This tells me that Saul really didn’t believe that God was going to take the kingdom, Saul really didn’t believe that God was going to judge him; Saul had deceived himself.

When Saul ignored the warnings, the rebukes, the judgments pronounced against him and continued to act as if everything was fine, he deceived himself. God wasn’t fooled, David wasn’t fooled; ultimately it was Saul the deceiver who had been deceived. This is the way it is with deception. We ignore the warnings, the admonitions, and the rebukes of others… We cover up, we act like all is ok, and in the end we are the ONLY ONES who are fooled. This has been my story on many occasions in the past. I covered something up, and tried to deceive; but in the end, I was the only one that lost. DECEPTION NEVER GETS US ANYWHERE… it just makes matters worse. Look with me again at Saul’s response, when he is made to come face to face with his own self-deception.

  • He fell on the ground
  • He became DREADFULLY AFRAID
  • He had no strength left in him

The mighty Saul is reduced to a helpless heap of a mess, all because he LIED TO HIMSELF. What about you, are you lying to yourself? Is there sin in your own life that you are ignoring, telling yourself that it doesn’t really matter? Don’t let yourself be like Saul, realize the gravity of your sin BEFORE judgment day comes. We have a choice: we can acknowledge our sin now, and cast ourselves upon the mercy of the Lord; or, we can continue to cover it up, and face God’s judgment in the end. I pray that each one of you would come clean with Jesus and experience His mercy and grace! My friends, DON’T DECEIVE YOURSELVES!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would post more, but I rarely get a chance to do so. I would like to be posting everyday. When I click on the "post comments" link, it usally says "cannot display the web page". People used to post all the time. Kyle posts only when it his Birthday. The last time Red Yoshie posted is when he said that he was grounded for a week. Elizabeth doesn't post anymore, she used to do it all the time. I like reading poeples commets, I like reading Tommy's& Hector's, but I find others peoples interesting too.

Blueyes said...

HA! It always amazes me when the Lord slams something between my eyes. This is perfect timing with what the Lord has putting on my heart recently. Thx guys.

stat counter

simple hit counter