Friday, May 04, 2007

1 Sam 6

The Philistines immediately sense a problem. They had defeated Israel in battle, but they could not cope with this. This Ark had to be sent back. Fortunately for them had some priests who had studied and were familer with Jewish law. Mixing it with their own law, the Philistines put together a "Trespass Offering," or what they thought was a tresspass offering. Finally, like most worldly people, they wanted to test if this was really from the Lord or not. Sure, they knew it was from God when the disasters were happeneing , but now that they had ceased the rumor begin to arise that this is all just coincidence. Is not that just like the world?!!!

They send the cows off with the cart and before long the cart finds its way to the city, Beth Shemesh. The Levites there look into the ark and remove the offerings. Nevertheless, they fiddled around with the ark, which was a big NO NO in Jewish Law. The Lord punishes them by killing 50,070 men. We then read:

"The Philistines have brought back the ark of the Lord; come down and take it up to you."

There are two ways to look at this. Either nobody wants the Ark because it keeps on killing everybody or nobody wants the Ark because they do not know the law. Interesting that whenever one is faced with something Holy, and they are needing dwelling in the Word, they want that something to leave. I remember numerous times when I am talking about something I shouldn't be and my parents walked into the room. In my heart, I wanted my parents to leave so I could continue talking about what I want. The city of Beth Shemesh did not know the law of the Lord neither were they interested in learning it. They had priests, yet these priests did not share with the people the laws of God! Also consider, there is a reason these people dwelled so close to the Philistines. I would not be shocked if they were dabbling into Dagan worship themselves. Finally, instead of change their ways, they found their solution in getting rid of the accountability.

The Lord has placed people in my life who I love because when I hang out with them they point me to Jesus. When I am living or talking about something I should not be, living a little too close to the rest of the world, often times I want these people somewhere else, rather than change my ways. Fortunately they are faithful to speak into my life and the Lord is faithful to speak to my heart. I challenge you, do not live like the men of Beth Shemesh. Be correctable. Get away from the enemies border. Finally, when holiness enters your camp be mallible that it might transform you instead of being hard and sending it away.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tommy, you where going to tell us more about Dagon,and the worship of him..............

stat counter

simple hit counter