Saturday, May 19, 2007

1 Samuel 21

And David arose and fled that day for fear of Saul, and went to Achish the king of Gath. (1 Samuel 21:10).

And he changed his behavior before them, and pretended himself to be mad in their hands, and marked on the doors of the gate and let his spittle fall down on his beard. (1 Samuel 21:13)

David was on the run. He had a small force with him of faithful followers. He had just left because of Jonathan’s signal and had found refuge in a temple. He had lied to the priest about being about Saul’s business. After he had gotten a brief rest we find him heading toward Gath, a Philistine city.

David was called a man after God’s own heart. Truly he was the greatest king Israel ever had, however, he was not without his flaws. We remember how Abraham, the great man of faith, ran to Egypt multiple times for protection and refuge. David writes in the Psalms, “Jehovah of Hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.” (Psalm 46:7). We see David finding refuge in his enemies rather than in the Lord.

Human behavior is a curious thing. I find that if I am not trusting in Jesus than I am trusting in something of this world to get me through the trial. David ran to Gath, but in reality, he was running to his own devices for refuge. If I am not running toward Jesus I am running to my own devices. My own devices are fueled by the flesh, and the flesh always leads to sin. Therefore, like David, if I am not running to Jesus I am running to my enemy.

David had to resort to more of his own devices in fear of the leader of Gath. They immediately recognized him and David figured the only way to keep safe is to act like a madman. Oh the things we will resort to when we do not follow the Lord. Here is the future king of Israel, the man who defeated Goliath, acting crazy in fear of his enemy. Quite a different person than the person we see before.

The wonderful thing is, even though David was living in fear, God was going to keep his promise. David’s sin did not compromise his kingship, because God is faithful even when we are not. Gang, I know all of you want to follow Jesus. I also know that we all suffer with falling to our own devices for refuge. The good thing is, God keeps His promise. Our salvation is safe in His hands. He will not let us go because He has promised salvation to those who believe! Truly God works all things together for good for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose.

No comments:

stat counter

simple hit counter