Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Deuteronomy 32

The Song of Moses

Have you ever heard a song that lasted 7 to 10 minutes long? Those songs go on forever! In this chapter, we read of a song that lasts well over ten minutes, unless it is a rap song, which I doubt. The Hebrew word “song” means to be “musical.” I find music to be one of the most mysterious things we have. Think about it…music is both on earth and in heaven. It is extremely influential. It has the ability to make a statement, ask a question, or talk about nothing at all. It comes in all sorts of forms. Every civilization has it. It is used to worship God in heaven and on earth. It is used to turn people away from the Lord and for self worship. It is truly mysterious.

Moses wrote a song to the Lord. Immediately, before anything, he “ascribes greatness to our God.” I believe this is an extremely important principle to remember. We all live with a song in our heart. The Christian has a song. People of the world have a song. We all have a song ascribing greatness to our God. For most, this god is themselves. We often here songs about how amazing somebody is, or perhaps how loving somebody is. There are tons of songs written about people. Most songs are written about love, but not godly love, but worldly love. We are to walk around with songs or worship. As Switchfoot says in the song Beautiful Letdown, “I will carry a cross with a song where I don’t belong…” If you are ascribing greatness (or giving praise) to our God, you have a song of worship. Make sure this is in your heart, and not a song of self. David, the man after God’s own heart, certainly lived with a song of praise in His heart:

“The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in Him, and I am helped; therefore my heart greatly rejoices; and with my song I will praise Him.” (Psalm 28:7).

“Sing to Him a new song; play skillfully with shouts of joy.” (Psalms 33:3).

“And He has put a new song in my mouth, praise to our God; many shall see it and fear, and shall trust in the Lord.“ (Psalm 40:3).

“The Lord will command His loving-kindness in the daytime, and in the night His song shall be with me, my prayer to the God of my life.” (Psalm 42:8).

“The Lord is my strength and song, and He is my salvation.” (Psalm 118:14).

As you read through Moses’ song, consider where he had gone in his life and where he was going. In this song are prophecies, praises, judgments, mysteries, and salvation. Investigate it. Now that you have the day ahead of you, consider what you have just endured and what lies ahead of you. Is Jesus going to be the song in your heart today? Will you be singing of His mercies and peace, His love and kindness? I certainly want to live a life like Moses and David, a life of praise and song to the Lord. I want my life to be the longest love song ever written, and not just ten minutes long.

4 comments:

David Reinhold said...

Guys, Elizabeth told us a bit ;bout herself, so why don't we tell her a bit 'bout ourselves?

My name is David. Online I am known as Red Yoshi. I am turning 15 in June. Both my papents are German. I speak fluent German + am learning Spanish. I was homeschooled for my entire life. I am a cg animator/grafic artist. I love Nintendo. I like to spike my short light brown hair. I wear only bootcut jeans.


btw. Elizabeth, the devos have gotten longer and more consistent since you came... please stay, be it only so that we get our devos on time.

Anonymous said...

Who is Swtichfoot?
I am going to spend the next week with my mom and stepdad in CA,since my spring break is next week. They said that they have some news for me, I can't wait to hear it! Please pray for my because I don't like flying on airplanes, and I havn't seen my mom in a few months. I won't be back untill the 19th, but I will try to read the blogs even when I am gone.
I would like to know about you guys, so please tell me about yourself.

Anonymous said...

My name is Catherine, I am 13, I am the oldest out of three I have a 10 year old sister and a 8 year old brother, I am homeschooled, my dad works full time and my mom works part time, I like to dance and read, I like to go shopping, and my favorite color is pink. I have curly brown hair that I flaten, I have brownish green eyes, I am 5'6", and I aso like romantic old movies.

David Reinhold said...

WHY DID MY COMMENT NOT GET UPLOADED? No sec. media! Could you guys maby at least give me a comment del. post? Where you tell me what command I broke? That way I will learn what is wrong with mu comments without asking sepratly every time.

stat counter

simple hit counter