Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Deuteronomy 5

Deuteronomy 5

“Oh that there were such a heart in them that they would fear Me and keep all My commandments always, so that it might be well with them and with their sons forever! (Deut 5:29).

Once again, Deuteronomy is the law given again. Therefore it only make sense that the ten commandments are reiterated. Moses is telling the new generation of the time he received these ten commandments. It seems Moses remembers everything. Moses tells of the time after the law was given. We are told that the people feared the Lord.

The Hebrew word for “fear” means to revere. I love the heart of our Lord. Here is the all knowing God. He has Israel before them. He has just given them the law. They take it, and they revere Him. How troublesome it must be know the future! He tells Moses, “Oh that there was such a heart in them that would fear Me and keep all My commandments always…”

God is good. This is a fact we must hold onto. You may think, “Sure, I wish people would always revere me too!” Look at why God wants us to revere Him, “so that it might be well with them and with their sons forever.” God is so focused upon our well being!!! He desires that we worship Him that it might be well for us!

I have to ask myself, “Do I have such a heart in me?” Something happened to Israel. They would sin again. They would follow other gods. They would make false images. They would use God’s name in vain. They would break the Sabbath. They would dishonor their parents. They would murder. They would commit adultery. They would steal. They would covet. Yet, they were in the perfect place right now. This is called a mountain top experience, which is not bad, but it is not reality. It is easier to follow the Lord when you are in His presence, seeing His glory, and doing nothing but watching. I know for a lot of you the Sr. High retreat was a humongous blessing and the Lord really worked in your life. I am so blessed to hear this. I challenge you, do not be like Israel. I have friends who have gone through similar camps and yet, like Israel, they have broken most of the commandments above. It gets harder to obey when you go out on the battlefield. The biggest attack Satan will use is routine. Make your routine Jesus. Make your routine a perfect joy. Do not allow yourself to be worn down until you drop your guard. Instead, allow Jesus to finish that awesome work He has started in each one of your lives!

No comments:

stat counter

simple hit counter