Monday, February 05, 2007

Deuteronomy 2

“For Jehovah your God has blessed you in all the works of your hand. He knows your walking through this great wilderness. Jehovah your God has been with you these forty years. You have lacked nothing” (Deut 2:7).

Deuteronomy is a very cool book because it gives us a special look into the life of Moses and his relationship with the Lord. Deuteronomy means the “Second Law.” It is also a personalized letter from Moses to the rest of Israel.

If you want to know somebody, spend time with them. What they talk about typically gives you an indication of what they are all about. Moses talked about the Lord. In fact, Moses recites everything the Lord told him in this letter to the Israelites. In the last chapter of the Book of Deuteronomy it says that there was never, or will there ever be a “prophet like Moses, whom the Lord knew face to face.” This challenges me to ask, “How would my friends describe me?”

Deuteronomy is the last book Moses wrote. Moses had already messed up by now and would not enter into the Promised Land. Despite this, he still follows God closely. Look at our topic verse for the day. The Lord, though he might be punishing Moses and Israel, was still blessing Moses and Israel. Our verse tells us that He knows the walking through the wilderness. I love the fact that the Lord understands us. The more time I spend with Him the more I understand that He can relate to me. The less time I spend with Him the more I think that He cannot possibly know what is going on. I do not know where you are in your life. Wherever it is, use this verse to remind yourself that you have a Father in heaven who can relate to what is happening.

I think it is also important to note that, even though this was a challenging time for Israel, the Lord was with them. Jesus is with you in the hard times. Jesus is even with you during those times of punishment. I know my mind often thinks that because the Lord is punishing me, He is not there for me, where its just the opposite. He is there fore me wanting to provide for, He just needs to knock the pride out of my life. In the last devo God is telling Israel to step out in faith. In this chapter God is telling Israel to fall into Him. Fall into Jesus.

I love the words of the Phil Wickham Song:

I fall into you,
I am desperate and weak,
Call with all of my heart,
Take hold of me

No comments:

stat counter

simple hit counter