Thursday, May 15, 2008

Psalm 61

To the Chief Musician. On A Stringed Instrument. A Psalm of David. Hear my cry, O God; Attend to my prayer. From the end of the earth I will cry to You, When my heart is overwhelmed; Lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For You have been a shelter for me, A strong tower from the enemy. I will abide in Your tabernacle forever; I will trust in the shelter of Your wings. Selah

(Psalms 61:1-4)

Yesterday we talked about the concept of RESCUE. Today I want us to take a look at the way that God brings that rescue to David. David tells us his heart is OVERWHELMED… the circumstances of life are crushing down, and he feels as though he is crying out from the ends of the earth.

What is it that David wants from the Lord? What is it that David asks for?

1. A ROCK HIGHER THAN I – These circumstances were too great for David, so He asked God to lead Him to a piece of higher ground, a firm place where he could stand above the tumultuous storm he was assaulted by. This higher piece of ground is the LORD. He provides us a firm footing, a place that doesn’t shift or move with the waves, a place that will never crumble no matter how fierce the attack.

2. A SHELTER, A STRONG TOWER – A place that provides protection and respite from the attacks of the enemy. Protection from both TRIALS and ATTACKS… this is something we can find only in the Lord… this is REAL RESCUE.

3. ABIDE IN YOUR TABERNACLE, TRUST IN THE SHADOW OF YOUR WINGS – That David would live where God lives, and would really believe that the protection that God provides is MORE THAN ENOUGH. RESCUE leads to RELATIONSHIP. David didn’t want to be left alone on a rock or in a tower; He wanted to live in God’s house, to trust in the Lord like a chick finding refuge in the wings of his mother.

When we find ourselves overwhelmed; when it seems that we are at the “ends of the earth” and God is far off… Where will we turn? Will we follow David’s example and cry out for RESCUE, realizing that what we need is relationship… to abide in God’s presence? I pray we will all learn to lean fully upon the Lord as David did!

1 comment:

me, myself,& I said...

if i have learned one thing over the past couple years, it's to rely on the Lord with all my heart. to just surrender my life completely over to His will. even though i know the Lord is the only one who can guide me through the rough times in my life, i still tend to think to myself, "where is the Lord in all this mess?" just recently i found myself wandering away from the Lord, but yesterday i once again found the hard reality that i CAN'T get through this life alone! i had to humble myself & just get down on my knees. i am just so glad our God is such a merciful & forgiving God!!!

stat counter

simple hit counter