Thursday, March 20, 2008

psalm 19

Psalm 19 is one of my personal favorites… It is beautiful, powerful, and stirring. Every time I read it I wish I could hear David singing it under the stars as a young shepherd watching over his flocks.

At first glance it may appear a bit disjointed. It jumps from all of this talk about the glories of creation to a discourse on the power of God’s Word. But, if we will examine it a little bit closer, we will find that there is ONE OVERARCHING THEME to this Psalm, and its message is PROFOUND. I want you to go and re-read the Psalm, but as you read it, I want you to think about one word: REVELATION. Not the book at the end of your bible, the CONCEPT. REVELATION, God speaking to man, God REVEALING Himself to us… Go ahead, stop reading this blog RIGHT NOW, and go and read Psalm 19 again… Really… Why are you still reading this???

Have you read it? If you haven’t, don’t go on… it’s like opening a present before Christmas! OK, now that you have read it again, thinking about how GOD REVEALS HIMSELF and HIS TRUTH to us, does it make more sense?

The God of Creation and the God of the Bible are one in the same. We cannot PROPERLY know one without knowing the other. God SPEAKS. He speaks all day every day, through His Word, and through ALL HE HAS MADE. The stars in the sky, the clouds as they fly, the sun as it travels, THEY ARE SCREAMING OUT TO THE WHOLE WORLD: GOD IS GLORIOUS!!!!! They reveal not only His existence, but His greatness, His beauty, His goodness, and His glory. Then we open His word, and we see HIS VERY NATURE. His holiness and Love, His grace and mercy, His justice and compassion; truly, who is like the LORD?

The revelation of God, according to Psalm 19:10, is more desirable than gold and sweeter than honey… and you have it sitting in your lap and waiting right outside your door. Friends, I urge you with all of my heart KNOW YOUR GOD. Fall in love with Him. Let Him be your everything!

My prayer for all of us is David’s closing statement in this Psalm… “May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to You, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I bet a million that TOMMY did this one!
And I didn't go on without reading the chapter.

stat counter

simple hit counter