Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Psalm 4

Psa 4:1 To the Chief Musician. With Stringed Instruments. A Psalm of David. Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness! You have relieved me in my distress; Have mercy on me, and hear my prayer.

Stress is a powerful enemy. Doctors give it much credit toward multiple illnesses. If you are having heart issues, they check how much stress you have in your life. Often times headaches are caused by stress. Depression usually starts with great deals of stress. Stress may be self-inflicted or it may come from another. Stress may be for good reason or simply conjured up. Nevertheless, in our life, we will have stress.

The above verse says, "You have relieved me in my distress." Distress is described by Webster as "extreme anguish." The beautiful thing about this verse is, it is not focused on distress. Instead the Psalmist, David, writes emphasizing the words "You" and "relieved." God relieves. God relieves us from all the pressure and hurt we gather in this life.

Think about this! This is God, the eternal. He challenges us multiple times to dwell on the things of the eternal. Typically, when we are distressed we are dwelling on treasures stored up here on earth. It typically is a lack of faith on our part. God does not punish us. Instead, in our weakness, He comes and relieves us. Wat a God we serve.

In our time of distress, we need to turn to the Lord. Our relief can only be found in Him. Imagine a world where, instead of prescribing anti-depressants, doctors would point people to the Lord. He is true relief.

1 comment:

Land-of-Lego Admin said...

That would be awesome if doctors pointed towards God, But it seems impossible now. With the state the worlds in now.

stat counter

simple hit counter