Saturday, February 02, 2008

Job 31

Job's words are ended.

(Job 31:40b)

This is the end of Job’s final speech, and it leaves us with this sense… Job believes that what has happened to him is UNFAIR. He says that he hasn’t sinned to deserve this, that in fact, he is more righteous than other men. Is he right?

Think about this idea of FAIRNESS. JUSTICE. WHAT I DESERVE. From God’s perspective, do you know what Job “DESERVED”? He deserved hell! Do you know why??? Because he is a SINNER, he was born as a sinner just like you and I. Job has a problem that is very easy to have here on earth… he is comparing himself the people all around him. Compared to them, maybe he doesn’t “deserve” to be punished; maybe they deserve it more than him. In God’s eyes a sinner is a sinner is a sinner. There isn’t varying degrees, for him any darkness is too much. He is the FATHER OF LIGHTS, in him there isn’t even shadow, just PURE LIGHT!

Job reminds me of what I used to do as a kid. I would often exclaim “IT’S NOT FAIR”!!!! I wanted fairness all the time, equality… I wanted all my brothers and sisters to have to wait as long as me for privileges. I wanted everything to be EVEN. I didn’t want to be SHORTED in any way.

God’s economy is different than ours. Job was so busy comparing himself to others that he forgot just how far short he fell of God’s holiness.

Remember, don’t talk about what you deserve, you deserve HELL. Grace and mercy is what we have, and let’s be thankful!

No comments:

stat counter

simple hit counter