Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Job 40

Job 40:2-5 "Shall the one who contends with the Almighty correct Him? He who rebukes God, let him answer it." (3) Then Job answered the LORD and said: (4) "Behold, I am vile; What shall I answer You? I lay my hand over my mouth. (5) Once I have spoken, but I will not answer; Yes, twice, but I will proceed no further."

When you first read the book of Job, it is easy to think it is all about Job's glory. In my opinion, the guy passed with flying colors. He had everything that was of worth to him taken away. His friends and even his wife turn on him. He is suffering in pain. His only fault is that he asks God, "Why?" Like I said, flying colors.

When we dig deeper into Job we realize, this book was not made that we might give Job praise, but that we might give God praise. As mentioned before, Job's righteousness and God's righteousness are in different leagues. Job was a righteous man, God said so. He was blameless. However, the righteousness of God is that much greater. Reading these chapters you cannot help but feel in awe of the power of God. Imagine being there, experiencing the voice of the Lord from the whirlwind. Imagine being rebuked by God's voice, and hearing Him describe His creation. It would sure beat biology class.

Job was coming undone. You see, Job was blameless, but he was still human, and he still had a layer of pride that the LORD wanted to get rid of. As He states later in this chapter, (Can you) "Look on everyone who is proud, and humble him?"

We are His workmanship, and He is the Workman. His level of righteousness is far beyond what we can attain. Therefore, as a loving father, God is going to refine us. In the end, may God, not us, attain all the glory. May we be left like Job, with a hand over our mouths, speechless in the Lord.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Today's my birthday!!!

stat counter

simple hit counter