Thursday, August 02, 2007

2 Kings 4

2Ki 4:27 Now when she came to the man of God at the hill, she caught him by the feet, but Gehazi came near to push her away. But the man of God said, "Let her alone; for her soul is in deep distress, and the LORD has hidden it from me, and has not told me."

This is truly an amazing chapter. Elisha is going from place to place performing miracles from the Lord. He has befriended this Shunammite woman because she always invited him in to eat. He asks his servant what one thing they could give to her and the servant responds to Elisha saying, “Actually, she has no son…” Elisha then promises a child and in one year the woman has the child. Later, the child grows sick. The woman then goes to Elisha. We receive this interesting verse upon the arrival of the Shunammite woman.

Elisa says that the Lord had “hidden it” from him. Why would the Lord hide something from us? Why would he hide something from a man who does nothing but perform God’s miracles? Have you ever felt like the Lord would not reveal something to you? Well, if we read the rest of the story we find out that the Lord ends up doing a work.

The lack of knowledge causes Elisha to have to communicate with his friend, who is a bit emotional at the moment, “So she said, "Did I ask a son of my lord? Did I not say, 'Do not deceive me'?" Sometimes the Lord hides something from us that we might bear a brother or a sister’s burden. Knowledge of the situation would have caused Elisha to immediately take action. Lack of knowledge caused Elisha to be a comforter, “As the LORD lives, and as your soul lives, I will not leave you." So he arose and followed her.”

When the Lord hides something from us it causes us to rely more on Him. Elisha first sent his servant and continued on not far behind. He was learning from the situation what was happening. When he finally reaches the house, he walks into the room and lies on the boy and prays over him. Elisha would then pace around the room, no doubt he was deep in prayer. Perhaps this was God’s way of saying, “Elisha, in your business we have not spent much personal time together.” I know sometimes the Lord allows something out of the blue to happen in my life. It is then that I get down on my knees and have a sincere time of talking with Jesus.

Finally, when the Lord hides something from us it shows our inability to do anything apart from Him. It gives all the glory to God!

The boy was healed. Elisha had been used of the Lord. Glory went to God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I am back. My face looks a little different, BUT... I am OK. I can't beilve tomorrow is the last day of VBS! I will miss seeing all of my friends everyday.
Any more guesses on who I am?

stat counter

simple hit counter