Friday, August 17, 2007

2 Kings 19

"Do not let your God in whom you trust deceive you, saying Jerusalem shall not be given over to Assyria. Look! You have heard what the kings of Assyria have done to the lands by utterly destroying them; and you shall be delivered?" (2 Kings 19:11-12)

Hezekiah makes the stand against Assyria. He then realizes that this stand might cost him his own life and the freedom of Israel forever. He immediately calls for the prophet Isaiah. Isaiah gives Hezekiah the promise straight from the Lord that Assyria will be defeated. Hezekiah now has the promise of the Lord, yet others continued to try to persuade Hezekiah otherwise, as we see in our verses.

Ever feel like Hezekiah? Ever feel like you have been given the promises of the Lord yet the whole world is telling you otherwise? You find yourself torn between yourself. You have the portion of you that knows that what the Lord says will be true and you have that other portion that simply cannot perceive how He will possibly make the promise come true at all. I pray that when we are like this, that we would all take the course of Habakkuk:

"I will stand my watch and set myself on the rampart, and watch to see what He will say to me, and what I will answer when I am corrected." (Habakkuk 2:1).

When you feel like you do not have enough faith to hold on to the promises of God, just wait and see. Allow God to do the work and do not try to help Him. Like Habakkuk, just anticipate being corrected. what a wonderful, humbling experience it is to be corrected of the Lord.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes it is hard to take correction, however from time to time, even I, need it. I think we all need to learn to be more humble in everything we do. We need to ask the Lord to help us with that.
Any more guesses to who I am?

stat counter

simple hit counter