Wednesday, August 01, 2007

2 Kings 3

2Ki 3:15 But now bring me a musician." Then it happened, when the musician played, that the hand of the LORD came upon him.

Moab has turned against Israel and is slowly entering into their land. Before they could attack Israel they would have to go through Judah. Before they could attack Judah they would have to go through Edom. Naturally, these three make a pact and head up to defeat the foe. They decide to take the “roundabout” way. All of a sudden they find themselves, their huge armies, and their animal stuck in the middle of the desert. It is then that the king of Judah speaks up and says, “Is there no prophet of the Lord here, that we may inquire of the Lord by him.” Fortunately Elisha was in town.

They approach Elisha and he immediately tests the king of Israel, checking the motive of the king’s heart. After this, he acknowledges the king of Judah with respect and says he will inquire of the Lord. The above verse says he called for a musician. This musician no doubt came by to play some sort of worship song. Elisha needed his spirit calmed and focused in order to hear from the Lord. What better way to do that than to listen to some music about the Lord!

Music is an interesting thing. Huge crowds come out to listen to music. In church we use music as part of our service. It can be used to stir up emotion. It can be used to represent what you stand for. It can be used to persuade huge stadiums to stand, sit, shout, yell or whatever other thing you can ponder up. Most importantly, it can used to worship Jesus. I believe this is why music is one of those very few things we have here on earth which we will have in heaven. It is also a good gauge to check where I am at.

What am I listening to? Why am I listening to it? Am I looking for an emotional experience? Am I looking for just a good time? I try to make sure that I listen to some sort of praise to Jesus every single day. I find that my heart becomes calmed and focused, just like Elisha, when I listen to worship music. It then points me toward the things of the Lord, and the things of the Holy Spirit, helping me hear His voice better. Gang, try making sure you are listening to songs of worship and praise every single day. When anguished or stressed out, put on a song about the Lord. Often times I find myself humming these tunes instead of being stressed out. Also, I can testify that most of the verses I memorized growing up were because the verses were put to song. In fact, verses I memorize still I put to song to help me remember them. So go listen to a worship song and may the Lord bless you and keep you.

No comments:

stat counter

simple hit counter