Sunday, August 26, 2007

1 Chronicles 3

Now these were the sons of David…

(1Ch 3:1)

David. One of the most UNIQUE men in Israel’s history, the ONLY PERSON we are ever told is a “MAN AFTER GOD’S OWN HEART”. Our attention is turned toward David because he was INSTRUMENTAL in Israel’s development as a nation.

As we follow the stream of God’s work through history, we see that He worked through individuals. These names that come up here in 1st Chronicles 3; they aren’t just random, they all have stories, and they all play a part, a role in the work of God throughout history. If we aren’t careful, these lists can become monotonous; the key is remembering the uniqueness of God’s plan and purpose for their lives.

Maybe you feel like just another name on a list. Not much to offer, you look at your life and feel “normal” or “average” at best. You think, “What good could I ever be to the Lord?” Of all the sons of Jesse, David was the LAST choice according to man. But the Lord doesn’t look at the outward appearance, He looks at the heart. David would have never guessed as a young boy what the Lord had planned for him. He was no Saul, no born warrior, he was a singer, a musician, a shepherd… and the Lord used him in a mighty way not because of his abilities, but because of his heart.

You may be average… but the Lord isn’t looking at the externals, He is looking at the heart. Who’s to say you won’t one day be a David? Really, we never know what God may have planned for 0ur lives… the question isn’t really “what does God want to do”, the question is, “how available am I to God”. We know He has plans. We know He wants to work… The question is will we let Him?

2 comments:

me, myself,& I said...

My biggest problem while reading chapters like these is I get bored by the end. . .I will definately use your adivice to remember that each person(no matter how hard thier name is to pronounce) is unique in God's plan.

Anonymous said...

I will admit that I haven't been reading these posts lately, but I am going to start again. Please pray that I will be reading, listing to God, and understading everything.
I hope my computer will let me post again, more often then once a month anyway. The meeting after church today was fun. I hope we really get to do some of the stuff Tommy and Hector talked about...

stat counter

simple hit counter