Monday, September 15, 2008

Psalm 92

You thrill me, LORD, with all You have done for me! I sing for joy because of what You have done.
(Psalms 92:4)

It doesn’t take much to get me excited. At the beach last week, I got totally stoked about $0.50 paratroopers. For those of you who don’t know what I’m talking about, let me educate you on one of the simple pleasures of this life. These are tiny little rubber army men that have plastic parachutes attached to their backs. If you wrap the chute right, you can throw them way up in the air and watch them float down. For children, and weird dudes like me, this can provide hours of entertainment. Now that I’m a grown up, I have to pretend like I’m buying them for Amelia, or someone else’s kids… but I’m not; they are really for me.

So, at the beach my friends and I (who are also weird and think these little dudes are extremely cool) picked up 5 of these guys before we took the kids to fly kites. My friend Matt figured out a way to connect his parachute man to the kite string, and as the parachute man went sliding UP 500 FEET OF STRING I begin yelling things like, “WHOOO, YEAAAAAH!!! OH YEAH, WHOOO-WHOOO!!!” Needless to say, I was excited.

It would be accurate to say that at that moment, the little parachute man (all fifty cents of him) thrilled me. I know that sounds really lame, but I’m being honest here… give me a break! (Cheap thrills are a lot easier on the wallet than things like sky-diving and bungee-jumping). As I read Psalm 92 this morning, I couldn’t help but think how lame it is that I get thrilled by the silly passing pleasures of this life, but rarely allow the work and person of Jesus Christ to thrill me. The Psalmist declares here that the thing that thrilled him was all that the Lord had done for Him. In fact, when He says “I sing for joy because of what you have done”, it literally means “I shout loudly because of what you have done”. I was shouting loudly about the silly paratrooper… but how often do I get that excited about Jesus? How often does the work of God in my life make me respond with a “WHOOOOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”? My friends, if we are not thrilled by the work of God, the problem is simple: We don’t really understand what God has done/is doing in our lives.

So, here is your challenge for today. Take a few minutes and think about all that the Lord has done for you, all the blessings He has sent your way, and get THRILLED! (If your parents ask why you’re hoopin’ and hollerin’ you can blame it on me.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post Tommy!

stat counter

simple hit counter