Friday, January 25, 2008

Job 23

Job 23:12 I have not departed from the commandment of His lips; I have treasured the words of His mouth More than my necessary food.

Job's comeback for Eliphaz was short, but direct. In it, he claims to be innocent and also claims that if he were to find God, God would prove his innocence. In some cases, what Job says in this chapter is false. When Job does come before the Lord, his mouth is not filled with arguments but with awe and wonder. When Job does come before the Lord, instead of reasoning his innocence he sees himself as a sinner, guilty and worthy of death. Nevertheless, I am encouraged by the words highlighted above.

Job was bent on ollowing the Lord. He made an active decision every moment of his life that he would not turn his face from God. He says that he has "treasured the words of His mouth more than my necessary food." If you are anything like me you love food. I think food is one of the Lord's greatest creations, and I think it signifies a lot to eat with someone. Even the Lord Jesus was to be remembered through a cracker and wine. Yet, imagine thirsting for God so much that between a decision to eat or spend time with Him, you would choose Him.

How important is God in your life? What are you willing to give up for Him? I pray that you hunger and thirst for the Bread of Life and for the Living Water. I hope you make the necessary sacrifice to make sure your spiritual health is well fed. I pray that, if placed in Job's shoes, we would all be able to make the same claim he made even after such tragedy had occured.

No comments:

stat counter

simple hit counter