Sunday, June 10, 2007

Chapter 12

Then the LORD sent Nathan to David…

(2Sa 12:1a)

So David said to Nathan, "I have sinned against the LORD."

(2Sa 12:13)

We all know the story, Nathan comes and presents this story about a rich man who took a poor mans only sheep and killed it. David responds in anger and says, “That man shall die!” Nathan tells David, “You are that man!”

The thing that sticks out me most is David’s response to Nathan. He realizes that the gig is up. There is no more secret here, Nathan knows. As the king, he could kill Nathan or have him silenced. He could continue to cover up his sin and act like every thing was fine. But, this is NOT what David does; instead he COMES CLEAN. Notice what David says… “I have sinned against the LORD”.

This is the key. David recognizes right here that he WAS NOT right wit God. His choice had separated him from the Lord, and broken their fellowship. David wanted to make things right. David came clean. This passage gives us some insight into why David is known as a man after God’s own heart. Here we see David not in his victory, but in his failure. The Lord sent a word his way, and David’s response shows that HIS HEART WAS STILL SEEKING AFTER THE LORD. If David had been all about himself, this story would have a much different ending. Instead, David recognized that it was necessary for him to CONFESS and REPENT. David realized the problem was between he and God, and he wasn’t going to let any more time go by without resolving it.

What about you? How do you deal with your sin? Do you see the way it affects your relationship with God? Do you recognize how DAMAGING it is? Do you cover it up? Or, do you do WHATEVER IT TAKES to get right with God? If there is sin in your life that needs to be dealt with, follow the example David sets in this psalm:

PSALM 51

Have mercy on me, O God, because of Your unfailing love.

Because of Your great compassion, blot out the stain of my sins.

Wash me clean from my guilt.

Purify me from my sin.

For I recognize my rebellion; it haunts me day and night.

Against You, and You alone, have I sinned;

I have done what is evil in Your sight.

You will be proved right in what You say, and Your judgment against me is just.

For I was born a sinner—yes, from the moment my mother conceived me.

But You desire honesty from the womb, teaching me wisdom even there.

Purify me from my sins, and I will be clean;

wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.

Oh, give me back my joy again;

You have broken me—now let me rejoice.

Don't keep looking at my sins.

Remove the stain of my guilt.

Create in me a clean heart, O God.

Renew a loyal spirit within me.

Do not banish me from Your presence,

And don't take Your Holy Spirit from me.

Restore to me the joy of Your salvation, and make me willing to obey You.

Then I will teach Your ways to rebels, and they will return to You.

Forgive me for shedding blood, O God who saves;

then I will joyfully sing of Your forgiveness.

Unseal my lips, O Lord, that my mouth may praise You.

You do not desire a sacrifice, or I would offer one.

You do not want a burnt offering.

The sacrifice You desire is a broken spirit.

You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God.

Look with favor on Zion and help her; rebuild the walls of Jerusalem.

Then You will be pleased with sacrifices offered in the right spirit

with burnt offerings and whole burnt offerings.

Then bulls will again be sacrificed on Your altar.

No comments:

stat counter

simple hit counter