Monday, June 25, 2007

1 Kings 3

And Solomon said: "You have shown great mercy to Your servant David my father, because he walked before You in truth, in righteousness, and in uprightness of heart with You; You have continued this great kindness for him, and You have given him a son to sit on his throne, as it is this day. Now, O LORD my God, You have made Your servant king instead of my father David, but I am a little child; I do not know how to go out or come in. And Your servant is in the midst of Your people whom You have chosen, a great people, too numerous to be numbered or counted.
(1Ki 3:6-8)

What would you do if God were to come up to you and say, “I will give you anything you ask.” What in the world would you ask for? It could be anything. I think when the answer is presented in this way it would be easy to come up with the right answer. “I would ask for wisdom,” or “I would ask greater knowledge of the Word that might better know Jesus.” I am challenged here. Do I live this out? Do a live a life that is seeking to know Jesus more? I am truly seeking things of this world. If someone were to open up your heart today, unpack it, and lay the contents out, would they see a heart seeking Jesus or would they see a heart seeking something from this world?

Notice that Solomon did not only say the right thing, he was living it. He had come to the “high place” to give offerings. In fact, gave a thousand offerings. He had so much offering to give, that he just spent the night there. He probably spent quite some time there, just offering to the Lord. Have I ever done this??? Have I ever just said, “Today, I am going to offer praises and prayers to the Lord all day!” 1 Thessalonians 5:16-17 tells us, “Rejoice always. Pray without ceasing.” Our lives are to always be shooting up prayers and praises to the Lord.

Gang, we might not be faced up with this question up front but we are faced with this question everyday through the decisions we make and the things we seek after. What do want from the Lord? Does your life scream, “More Jesus,” or is it running after the things of this world?

* Todays devo was posted late due to a Proverbs 6:9 moment. Apologies

No comments:

stat counter

simple hit counter