Wednesday, June 06, 2007

2 Samuel 9

Now when Mephibosheth the son of Jonathan, the son of Saul, had come to David, he fell on his face and prostrated himself. Then David said, "Mephibosheth?" And he answered, "Here is your servant!" So David said to him, "Do not fear, for I will surely show you kindness for Jonathan your father's sake, and will restore to you all the land of Saul your grandfather; and you shall eat bread at my table continually." Then he bowed himself, and said, "What is your servant, that you should look upon such a dead dog as I?"

(2Sa 9:6-8)

Mephibosheth had every reason to believe that he was going to die. As Hector alluded to last week, it was the practice of kings in that day to destroy any blood relatives of a previous king, ensuring that HIS line would reign. To Mephibosheth, this was the only logical reason for why the king was calling for HIM. I imagine that Mephibosheth thought to himself, “I am a broken worthless man… I can’t even walk on my own. Why can’t David just let me be? Surely I am no threat to him.”

Little did Mephibosheth know that David had something completely different in mind… he wanted to pour out LOVE and BLESSING on Mephibosheth. This story reminds me so much of OUR STORY, and the way Jesus has poured out love on us. Check this out…

  1. Just like Mephibosheth, we are broken individuals. We have “fallen”, and it has made us incredibly USELESS. We come into this world as spiritual cripples, unable to “walk” and live as we were created to live.
  2. We are enemies of the king. Because of our sins, we are the ENEMIES of God. Just like David’s UNCONDITIONAL LOVE, the Lord chose to love us when we were still his enemies.
  3. Our attitude should be the same as Mephibosheth’s, seeing ourselves as “dead dogs”, undeserving of ANY kind of attention from the LORD.
  4. We become a part of God’s family. David made Mephibosheth a part of his family. Where he once had nothing, he now had EVERYTHING. The same is true of us. In Christ, we have EVERY BLESSING in HEAVENLY PLACES. This is the direct result of becoming a part of God’s family.
  5. When Mephibosheth was seated at the Lord’s Table, you could not see his disability. When we come to Jesus, and are in fellowship with Him, our brokenness is healed. We are seen as whole in Him!

There is no other love in ALL OF THE EARTH that even begins to compare to the love of Jesus Christ. In Him, we go from worthless to having EVERYTHING. No more fear, only unbelievable joy as we experience relationship with the Lord. Let me leave you with the words of this song by Leeland. It is all about Mephibosheth, and I think it will bless you:

Wounded and forsaken
I was shattered by the fall
Broken and forgotten
Feeling lost and all alone
Summoned by the King
Into the Master’s courts
Lifted by the Savior
And cradled in His arms

I was carried to the table
Seated where I don’t belong
Carried to the table
Swept away by His love
And I don’t see my brokenness anymore
When I’m seated at the table of the Lord
I’m carried to the table
The table of the Lord

Fighting thoughts of fear
And wondering why He called my name
Am I good enough to share this cup
This world has left me lame
Even in my weakness
The Savior called my name
In His Holy presence
I’m healed and unashamed

I was carried to the table
Seated where I don’t belong
Carried to the table
Swept away by His love
And I don’t see my brokenness anymore
When I’m seated at the table of the Lord
I’m carried to the table
The table of the Lord

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that these DEVO's just keep better and better. They where good before, but now.....WOW!!!

Anonymous said...

I am trying to figure out how to write on this blogging thing-a ma-jig. I love these devos but haven't been able to figure out how to send a comment. Maybe today is my blogging-fulfillment day.

Anonymous said...

You know, amonymous, you don't have to use such technical terms, like thing-a-ma-jig. It makes you sound smarter tha the rest of us. And we all know that I am the smartest, hence the name sharpest tool in the shed....

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Sharpest tool, I am sure you've heard of "iron sharpening iron" but lets be real here. It's taken me several attempts to record any kind of comment I think it's clear I'm not the brightest light on this tree. I think your position as sharpest tool is safe.

stat counter

simple hit counter