Monday, October 09, 2006

Righteous Jealousy

Righteous Jealousy

I had a Bible college professor tell me once that God is never jealous, but simply zealous for our love. To covet is wrong. To want what another has is wrong. The act of jealousy, typically, is a wrong thing. What then did Paul mean when he said, “For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy. For I have espoused you to one Man, to present you as a pure virgin to Christ?”

  1. Paul mentions this godly jealousy. In the Greek, the word jealous means “heat” or producing some sort of “warmth.” Have you ever had something on your mind that you begin to sweat? Maybe it is when you are anxious, or simply when something is bearing down on you. Well we know that Jesus sweat drops of blood. Think about this picture, the thought of us going to hell was “heat” in the Lord’s mind. It was something He worked out for us. There was sweat involved. We see salvation being planned out from the birth of sin in Genesis 3. God was going to make a way to get us back, and there was nothing that was going to stop Him. Our God is a jealous God, and the best word to translate jealous is indeed zealous. Our God wanted our love, He therefore made a way to, allow us, to make the choice to give it to Him.

  1. If the heat was on the Lord’s mind, what are we supposed to do? Remember, the priests wore linen garments that we might not sweat when we serve the Lord. Remember that “all things work together for good…” Who is doing the work? Jesus is doing the work on our behalf. Therefore, if Jesus is working out our salvation, we simply need to rest and be anxious for nothing. Read Hebrews 4.

3. Lastly, how is that Paul had godly jealousy? Paul loved the church of Corinth so much. He only wished the best upon them. Read the context surrounding 2 Corinthians 11:1-4. Paul likens the church to this virgin, betrothed to one husband. Here they are all prepared, yet Paul fears that although they are all prepared on the outside, in the deepest places of their heart, they might still have this draw to the tricks of Satan. Paul is jealous that Satan would have such a hold on something so beautiful, when all he wants to do is point them to Jesus. It is the “simplicity that is in Christ.” Does Christ tempt? Does Christ provoke us to loving Him. No, of course not! Instead Christ did everything He could, including touch the history of our world through one nation, to make sure I can make an open and free choice to say, “I choose to love Jesus.” There was no temptation or drawing away. There was only love over the edge to the point that I could not say no. Jealous?

6 comments:

David Reinhold said...

So godly jelousy is really just an extreme overflow of his love for us. I get it.

Anonymous said...

I still don't get this whole rightous jeliousy thing. So it can be OK to be jelious?

Anonymous said...

I don't know what "JELIOUSY" but it is okay to be "Jealous" if it is for the LORD!!!!

oh, and by the way im mushroom!
AMEN,AMEN!!!!

Anonymous said...

It is not somthing good. Righteouse jelousy is if someone if not with the lord, and you want them to be with the lord so bad that you are jealouse for it.

btw I now have a Skype account. WITH webcam. so yeah. Skype me!

Anonymous said...

Ok, I get it now. Thanks TomTor!

Anonymous said...

I got the rightous jelousy thing the first time. Has anyone figured out who I am yet? I know that me,myself&I knows, but does anyone else know? Kyle, why would you call yourself mushroom?

stat counter

simple hit counter