Friday, October 06, 2006

Genesis 34

Genesis Chapter 34

And Jacob said to Simeon and Levi, Ye have troubled me to make me to stink among the inhabitants of the land, among the Canaanites and the Perizzites: and I being few in number, they shall gather themselves together against me, and slay me; and I shall be destroyed, I and my house.
(Gen 34:30)


The only word I can think of to describe this story is TRAGIC. I makes me so sad to read it, and I think that the most tragic think of all is the fact that it could have been completely avoided. In this story, and the events preceding it, we see several ways the whole scene could have been avoided.

1. They should have never been in Schechem. There was no reason for Jacob to be living here… In fact we saw yesterday that by being here he was breaking his promise.
2. Once he was there, he should have never allowed his children to wander around inside the city of Schechem… as God’s children they had no business being there.
3. Once the awful crime was commited, Jacob could have taken some sort of action. I believe his INACTION in the situation was another factor that made it even uglier.
4. If Simeon and Levi had not let hatred grow so strong and dominate there decision, the final outcome could have been avoided.

So we see that this awful tragedy was years in the making… it was the fruit of a series of FLESHLY DECISIONS. The final assessment was that these chosen people of God had now made themselves EXTREMELY OFFENSIVE to the very people God had called them to be a light to.

My exhortation to all of you this morning is simple: Don’t let your flesh control the decisions you make, and when the Lord leads you somewhere FOLLOW. There is nothing that will destroy our witness quicker than neglecting to listen to the Lords voice. So this morning, hear the Lord’s voice!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can Tommy put a movie on this blog if he wanted to.

Kristen Ferrante said...

I find that when you are in the flesh and in the wrong place, sin is just around the corner.
Another good point in this devo is that Jacob's inaction made the situation even uglier. Guys and Girls listen to your parents when they correct you!This is one of the toughest things to do for me personally. Know that if they didn't address the situation, the the situation would get even uglier. If you keep getting away with something wrong whether it be an action or attitude, your heart will become hard and soon it will be no big deal to you. Be thankful that your parents love you enough they are willing to correct you.

Anonymous said...

I don't think so, Tommy said NO secular media. He said that he might put a movie of him and Hector talking about "stuff". does anyone know who annie~bear is?

stat counter

simple hit counter