Saturday, October 28, 2006

Exodus 6

Exodus 6

“And I will take you to Me for a people, and I will be to you a God. Then you will know that I am Jehovah your God, who brings you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians” (Exodus 6:7)

Exodus, Leviticus, and Deuteronomy are the beginning of many characteristics we see through out the Bible. Here we notice one of the many characteristics of God, He is personal. The term, “Then you shall know that I am…” is used 44 times in the Bible, all from God. It is used twice in the New Testament. Can you guess who uses it in the New Testament?

This is the first time God uses this term. The word “Know” means to ascertain from seeing. Relationship is seeing, is feeling, and is knowing. You can have faith. You can believe and imagine any type of relationship you want. God never intended there to be a relationship with Him 100% dependant on faith always. The reason we have faith is because one day, we will see Him. If there was no promise of this, this would be a very broken religion, much like the religions we see around the world today. Did God give Israel this hope? Look at what they would see! They would see plagues. They would see God’s glory come down from heaven (Leviticus 9). Forty-four times God promises us that we will know Him by seeing Him. What a hope we grasp on to.

The word LORD (Jehovah) means “self-existing one.” God is revealing to finite minds the vastness of His glory. This is Who we are getting to know!

The answer to our question as to who uses this term in the New Testament: Jesus.

“Then Jesus said to them, When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you shall know that I AM, and that I do nothing of Myself, but as My Father has taught Me, I speak these things” (John 8:28).

“At that day you shall know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you” (John 14:20).

We are made in God’s image. This is the image of relationship, and relationship with God. God has so designed us to seek after Him. What has Satan done? He has provided different means of relationship. He gives a false relationship with the world, with our own pride, with the wrong people. God sent His plagues and judgments saying, “Then you shall know.” God sent His prophets saying to Israel, “Then you shall know.” God sent God sent His kings saying, “Then you shall know.” Finally, God sent His Son, saying, “Then you shall know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you.” Do you know?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"You are only as old as you behave"
~ Harvey Mackay

stat counter

simple hit counter