Friday, November 16, 2007

Ezra 9

When these things were done, the leaders came to me, saying, "The people of Israel and the priests and the Levites have not separated themselves from the peoples of the lands, with respect to the abominations of the Canaanites, the Hittites, the Perizzites, the Jebusites, the Ammonites, the Moabites, the Egyptians, and the Amorites. For they have taken some of their daughters as wives for themselves and their sons, so that the holy seed is mixed with the peoples of those lands. Indeed, the hand of the leaders and rulers has been foremost in this trespass." So when I heard this thing, I tore my garment and my robe, and plucked out some of the hair of my head and beard, and sat down astonished. Then everyone who trembled at the words of the God of Israel assembled to me, because of the transgression of those who had been carried away captive, and I sat astonished until the evening sacrifice. At the evening sacrifice I arose from my fasting; and having torn my garment and my robe, I fell on my knees and spread out my hands to the LORD my God.

(Ezr 9:1-5)

Sin. How do you respond to sin? Are you indifferent towards it? Do you rejoice in it? Does it break your heart? We see here that Ezra responds properly to the sins of his people. The Israelites were unequally yoked, they were marrying people that worshipped idols of every sort, and were being caught up in the idolatry. This is something that God views as WICKED. It is not the way that He wanted His children to live.

Ezra response shows us the heart of God. First he tore his clothes… this was an old school way of showing that something awful was happening, it normally took place after the death of a loved one. Why would Ezra do this now? Because there WAS death; death in the relationship between God and His people. When these people sinned, they separated themselves from a holy God… their choices made relationship with God cease.

Notice the Godly men and women in this passage… they are referred to as men and women who “tremble at God’s word”. This doesn’t mean they were literally frightened by it, but that they took it SERIOUSLY. God’s word is to be taken seriously. His commands are not mere suggestions, and the consequences for continued sin are grave. May we be like Ezra and the other Godly men and women; broken hearted by the sin we see, taking God’s word SERIOUSLY.

No comments:

stat counter

simple hit counter