Monday, July 02, 2007

1 Kings 9

Now if you walk before Me as your father David walked, in integrity of heart and in uprightness, to do according to all that I have commanded you, and if you keep My statutes and My judgments, then I will establish the throne of your kingdom over Israel forever, as I promised David your father, saying, 'You shall not fail to have a man on the throne of Israel.' But if you or your sons at all turn from following Me, and do not keep My commandments and My statutes which I have set before you, but go and serve other gods and worship them, then I will cut off Israel from the land which I have given them; and this house which I have consecrated for My name I will cast out of My sight. Israel will be a proverb and a byword among all peoples.
(1Ki 9:4-7)

Solomon had built this great temple to the Lord, however Solomon himself declared that this was only a building. When the Lord responds to Solomon He gives these careful instructions, "walk before me." What does it mean to walk before the Lord?

I remember playing basketball for the Sterling league. There would be a day where all the coaches would come out and they would split the teams up by having a draft. Of course, this was the day you wanted to perform to your best. This was very difficult to do because you had many coaches just watching you perform. You felt their stares with every move you make.

The Gospel of John explains to us that sin loves the darkness. Why? Because darkness covers up whatever you are doing. To walk before the Lord is to walk in complete openness toward Him. Sure, God knows what you are doing no matter what. We can never truly hide from Him. Yet, too often we convince ourselves in our hearts that he is not watching. I like the way this one song puts it:

"the right moment for you to look away Though you never did, I pretended for a while, So I could walk where I dont belong"

Ever pretend God is looking somewhere else so you can live the way you want? Guess what, HE IS NOT!!! This verse not only tells us He is always watching, but tells us to live with that knowledge. Walk before the Lord. May your life be lived before the Lord. May your ways be set before the Lord. May you live with an open heart, willing to be examined at any moment.

No comments:

stat counter

simple hit counter