Thursday, October 12, 2006

Genesis 40

And they said to him, "We have dreamed a dream, and there is no interpreter of it." And Joseph said to them, "Do not interpretations belong to God? Now tell it to me."
Joseph is made in charge of the prison. What a witness Joseph must have been. Joseph was falsely accused and thrown into prison. The one thing we know about his time in prison is what is told in this chapter. We are told that Joseph was 13 years old when sold into slavery and 30 when made in charge of Egypt. How many chapters for everything in between? There are only three. I wonder how much Joseph could have written about this time.
Do you ever feel like you are waiting for something? Do you ever feel like you are one of those stages in between chapters? There will be a lot to say of you down the line, and maybe a lot has happened to you in the past, but right now it just seems like you are in the middle. Imagine Joseph, interpreting the dream and having to go two years without hearing a word. Imagine the many years Joseph had spent in prison until this point. What are we to do in these situations?
Observe Joseph. He is caring for everybody just being a light. He was not worried about his feelings. He notices when others are down around him (40:6-7). He is ready to serve. What a witness! If you ever feel in a runt serve your brothers and sisters! Had Joseph been mourning about his current situation he would not have been able to notice the Butler and Baker at all. If he had been depressed, he would not have been so ready to reach out in faith and say, "Do not interpretations belong to God. Now tell it to me."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why was this posted so late?

Anonymous said...

I wonder what it would be like to be able to interpret dreams.....

Anonymous said...

yeah! I had to prospone reading it until this morning. Wasn't very long either! But don't worry it's OK. We're just worried.

Anonymous said...

That would be cool. All of my dreams are REALLY weird. I wonder what they mean?..................

Anonymous said...

Yesterday I dreamed I found a Wii in my closet. Tonight I dremed that I woke up 3 years ago. tonights dream was really wiered because I was talking to my younger self and all that.

Anonymous said...

Who's turn was it when this DEVO was written?

Anonymous said...

Hestor's, well. I'm 90% sure it was him. Assuming Tommy wrote the first weeek of DEVOs.

stat counter

simple hit counter