Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Exodus 9

And Pharaoh sent, and called for Moses and Aaron, and said unto them, I have sinned this time: the LORD is righteous, and I and my people are wicked. Entreat the LORD (for it is enough) that there be no more mighty thunderings and hail; and I will let you go, and ye shall stay no longer.
(Exo 9:27-28)

And when Pharaoh saw that the rain and the hail and the thunders were ceased, he sinned yet more, and hardened his heart, he and his servants. And the heart of Pharaoh was hardened, neither would he let the children of Israel go; as the LORD had spoken by Moses.
(Exo 9:34-35)


We have all seen this at one time or another… in the midst of great trial and difficulty, even the most ungodly men will call upon the Lord for help. They look to Him because they know that He is the only one who can make a difference. When they call out to Him it isn’t because they truly want to repent… it because they want to cut a deal with God. They are willing to do or say anything to get the trial to end, and then it is right back to their old ways again.

Do you think this is the type of relationship God wants to have with people? OF COURSE NOT!!! How would you like it if you had a friend that you never heard anything from unless they needed something? I know how I would feel, I’d probably want to hide when I saw them coming! Pharaoh tries to play this game with God, the storm is raging, so he says “I give up”. The storm stops and he basically says, “just kidding, you can’t go, and the LORD is not my Lord”.

This is the main problem with Pharaoh and those like Him. They want the Lord to be in control when they need something fixed, or corrected. They recognize His power and authority. Yet, when it comes to their own lives, they want the Lord to KEEP OUT!

My dad often says “If God isn’t the Lord OF ALL, he can’t be the Lord AT ALL.” What this means is simple… if we can’t allow God to control our lives, then we can’t expect Him to fix our problems. The solution for Pharaoh was simple… REPENT. He just wouldn’t do it! Because of this, the judgements and plagues against Egypt just got worse and worse. The same is true in our lives… the more we refuse to turn from our sin, the more the Lord turns up the heat! Don’t be like Pharaoh… Establish a real relationship with the Lord! Wouldn’t you rather have God working IN your life rather than fighting AGAINST you?

4 comments:

David Reinhold said...

I woulden't wannt to fight against the Lord.

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!

What happend to the 3 year bible study backround???

strictly for my ninja!

Anonymous said...

Where is the first episode of youth leader?

strictly for my ninja

Anonymous said...

thats so cool. That same thought came to my mind when i read this chapter; we often seek God when we are facing trials, but once the trials have past, we think we dont need Him. How lame! God would never forsake me like that.

stat counter

simple hit counter