Friday, July 25, 2008

Psalm 88

This is a song of lamentation, sung from the perspective of the psalmist. At first reading, you may have a “what’s up with that?!?!” kind of reaction. Hang in there, read it again… give it a chance… this psalm is special; though it is one of the darkest in the book of Psalms, it is full of refreshment for those who will allow it to speak to them.

Have you ever felt alone? Like God wasn’t there? Have you ever wondered if the Lord hears your prayers? Have you ever felt overwhelmed by the difficulties you face? Have you ever felt like trials and difficulties just keep pummeling you like the waves of a tempestuous sea? YOU ARE NOT ALONE. The Psalmist here is crying out to God from a position of despair. From his perspective, God is against him, and there is no hope… BUT, he continues to cry out to the LORD!

This is a powerful and wonderful example. It shows that though the psalmist is honest, and feels abandoned, he continues to trust in the promises of God. Let us follow this example… let’s be honest in our prayers, and firm in our faith; let’s cry out to the Lord, and believe that HE WILL ANSWER.

O LORD, I cry out to You. I will keep on pleading day by day. O LORD, why do You reject me? Why do You turn Your face from me? I have been sick and close to death since my youth. I stand helpless and desperate before Your terrors. Your fierce anger has overwhelmed me. Your terrors have paralyzed me. They swirl around me like floodwaters all day long. They have engulfed me completely. You have taken away my companions and loved ones. Darkness is my closest friend.

(Psalms 88:13-18)

No comments:

stat counter

simple hit counter