Monday, July 30, 2007

2 Kings 1

2Ki 1:3 But the angel of the LORD said to Elijah the Tishbite, "Arise, go up to meet the messengers of the king of Samaria, and say to them, 'Is it because there is no God in Israel that you are going to inquire of Baal-Zebub, the god of Ekron?'

The poor king of Samaria was a clumsy one. Who knows what he was doing on top of the lattice, but what we do know is that he fell down and really injured himself. He needed to know how serious the injury was and so he went to inquire of his false god. He quickly sends his messengers out.

Elijah meets them halfway and has the above message to convey. And so I ask you, “Is it because there is no God in Israel?” Notice that this question would be brought to the king not once, not twice, but three times. The king would sacrifice 100 men to try to find a different answer, yet the question remains the same. The king refused to acknowledge that there was a God in Israel. Should he have, who knows what the outcome might have been.

I am forced to ask, “Is there a God in my life?” Who is He? Who do I go to when I am in trouble? How many times must God send the message to me before I get it and at what expense to others? As we all help and share in VBS I hope it is truly evident that there is a God in each one of your lives and His name is Jesus. I hope that it is this that dictates the decisions we make during the week.

Finally the king gets Elijah to meet with him and yet the message remains the same. The message is, “Is it because there is no God in Israel?” The answer is “There is indeed a God in Israel and He dictates who lives and who does not.”

No comments:

stat counter

simple hit counter